LEL 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tatr

I've asked for a 6:15 start time - not sure this is wise as I'll have to cycle to the start before the trains get going in the morning.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I started with expressing preference for a 1330 start, with the aim of getting to Louth by midnight for a few hours kip during darkness, staring again before sunrise (but after dawn). The tales of congestion and bed rationing at Pocklington in 2013 influenced this, but I recognise that the start window this time is 1/3 the compression (0600-1030 in 2013, 0600-1600 in 2017) so this will mean a good third on a full value start will not make Pocklington (@339km) till 0200) even if they try to. A neat plan is Louth, Brampton x 2, Louth with 250,310.310,310,250 days, the first and last short days.
I have tried to take into account the sections of the route I'd really like to ride in daylight, eg Howardian Hills (Monday), Teesdale/Yad Moss (Monday and Wednesday), Eskdalemuir (Tuesday).
But I aspire to complete in less than 100 hours, because I think I can (KSW 600 which is much, much hillier in 36 hours, mostly (80%) solo, including a 6 hour stop). I also don't know how fast the flat first (and last) 405km will be as I scarcely ever ride with less than 1000m per 100km (Devon). But I don't want to risk non-validation by opting for a 06-0800 start and committing (and I have Mille Pennines 3 weeks before). And starting at a sensible time in the morning solves the logistic Sunday morning challenge that @tatr implies and allows a @DCLane decent breakfast. However, there is attraction in being around riders who are pushing along at sub-100 hour pace. So I have currently changed it and lodged 0945 in the rider area. And I confess that I've also booked in at Hull South Cave (circa 310km) that night . Although others' advice is to push on over the first night, like @DCLane . I could start much later as the Travelodge room booking is till 1200 Monday, so if I get allocated a later start time that's still workable. All things going well I aim to make Moffat on Monday night (630km in 36 hours), by dusk, by that time ahead of the bulge, and potentially catch the slower 100 hour limit riders at Edinburgh on Tuesday morning. After that it doesn't really matter, and will depend on the weather and how my body is coping with / enjoying the ride. My self-imposed target of 100 hours means I'd be aiming to finish on Thursday afternoon (with the latest (1600 Sun) start time, by 2000 Thu).
I'd welcome any comments.

Last edited:

Nebulous

Guru
I've absolutely no idea. At first sight I was imagining 4 x 350s. Pocklington- Edinburgh - Pocklington with those being my two bag drops. However getting from Pocklington to Edinburgh might be a challenge, given its a bit bumpier at that end. I'll procrastinate for some time yet. I've just given up today on the idea of getting an audax bike / dynamo hub. That means relying on batteries. So I'm not going to be riding through the night.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A lot of riders charge lights/Garmins and other gadgets at the controls.

You might not stop long enough for a full charge, but it's worth bearing in mind you can get a decent top-up.

All of it? I've got a trelock LS950 but from memory it only does about 3.5 hours on the highest setting. I had imagined stopping around 12 midnight to 1 am.

Google says it will
http://road.cc/content/review/47688-trelock-ls-950-ecopower-control-front-light

2 days at the lowest level. 6 hours at the highest. I don't really need to run my light at the highest setting. You need to get out at night and find out what setting is 'enough'. Then run the light at that setting and see how long it lasts. Note; don't leave it on unattended in the house, some LED can heat up a lot if inside, so it could be a fire risk.

Road.cc also says the battery is replaceable, but I can't see any sellers, so that rules it out. But you can get a powerbank, and recharge it during the day. It looks like the one I linked to would completely charge your light 3 times (probably more).

Ajax Bay

Guru
I was imagining 4 x 350s. Pocklington- Edinburgh - Pocklington with those being my two bag drops. However getting from Pocklington to Edinburgh might be a challenge, given its a bit bumpier at that end. I'll procrastinate for some time yet.
You might find a more even 4 day split, taking into account climb, is Thirsk (400km/2400m), Edinburgh (305km/2800m), Coxwold (325/3200m),Loughton (415km/2000m). Starting with the 100 hour riders, the first 400km will be group aided and the last 400km can be started at 4am (ie at least two hours earlier than Sunday, after an undemanding but enjoyable ride down from Edinburgh to Coxwold (completed by sundown). Your midnight/1am Cinderella deadline seems perfectly realisable.

I agree that battery lights will do: I will be using a Magicshine light/battery with a spare battery in second drop bag. You will not need them on high power all the time. Sunset is circa 9:01 and sunrise is circa 5:15 with good light for an hour after and before. And the moon is 68-78% and up till 0017, 0038, 0106 the first 3 nights.
A lot of riders charge lights/Garmins and other gadgets at the controls.
The LEL team have said that there may be no access to sockets so 'don't rely on it' and with 100 even 200 riders in the control you can see the challenges, together with air beds spread all over the sports hall floors. Spare batteries in drop bags. Multisocket adaptor in the dropbag?

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The LEL team have said that there may be no access to sockets so 'don't rely on it' and with 100 even 200 riders in the control you can see the challenges, together with air beds spread all over the sports hall floors. Spare batteries in drop bags.

Last time at Barnard Castle control - large comprehensive school - there were lights and gadgets plugged in all over the place.

We ran out of multi-socket adapters, although a rider could probably find a spare wall socket somewhere.

One guy asked me if he could plug in in the kitchen - that's the nature of audaxing, showing a bit of initiative.

The filling station nearby sold a lot of AA and AAA cells, and also a lot of ice cream, but that's another story.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@Nebulous - I did PBP on battery lights, although it was relying on lithium batteries. One set for each light (2 x Smart 60, a headtorch and a Hope Vision 1 for really dark bits) which were changed each morning as I rode through two of the three nights.

I plan on having exactly the same set-up for LEL with batteries in the bag drops rather than on me.

Trickedem

Guru
I am thinking of going for a lunchtime or later start. Ride to Louth where I will have my bag drop. Couple of hours sleep, then ride to Brampton, for my other bag drop and have another sleep, then Edinburgh and back, for another sleep, then see how it goes. I am expecting to be towards the back of the field and I hope there is some food left this time.

Had sushi for dinner. Saving the tiny soy bottle for chain oil on the ride.

Unless, of course, I get a fish shaped one in the meantime. Obviously I'd use that in preference.

1104282990-SAMMA_SM9_1103_small_sauce_box.jpg

Edit: Cool, I think the one I have is the brand from the random google image. 15ml size.

Top Bottom