LEL 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
There are 150 being offered at midnight and a further 150 offered at 0700 GMT. If you don't try you don't give yourself a chance of (@steveindenmark ) being "shocked". .

I have tried twice and got nowhere. I will give it a go in ten minutes for the last one and if I dont get in I will volunteer to help.

The TCR application is a much better way to do handle the applications IMO. I didn't get a place there either <O) Or even a simple lottery. You apply online, get given a number and you take your chance.

But there is no point in complaining about like lots of people on FB. It was always going to be oversubscribed.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Or even a simple lottery.
No no no. Danial has arranged it carefully so he has quite a lot of discretion, hence him encouraging people to go on the waiting list. He's quite open that he has priorities: women, foreigners. He has a firm idea of how he wants the atmosphere of the event to be.
In a forum in Another Place there have been suggestions that in order to reduce the demand there be qualifying rides, as on PBP. But this eliminates the wide-eyed, innocent, plucky first-timer and ensures the event is full of experienced auks displaying ancient clothes and the thousand-yard stare. We're all aware PBP uses the qualifiers as a way of encouraging entrants to take part in other rides and increase the numbers in those events and the wider world of audax.
You can disagree with his views all you want: it's his event and it's incredibly popular. He's doing something right.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
It's been very disappointing on Facebook to read the criticism of Danial and his team. The sense of entitlement from some people is unbelievable and I understand that in private it's gone beyond criticism and into abuse. It's a good job Danial is a far better person than me cos I would have just scrapped the whole thing

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
It's been very disappointing on Facebook to read the criticism of Danial and his team. The sense of entitlement from some people is unbelievable and I understand that in private it's gone beyond criticism and into abuse. It's a good job Danial is a far better person than me cos I would have just scrapped the whole thing

That's really sad. I would have loved to have got a place, but didn't. But you take your chance and see what happens. It was never a forgone conclusion that I would get a place. The organisers certainly do not deserve criticism.

Those who are complaining must be total arsxholes who didn't deserve a place anyway.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Sorry you didn't get a place @steveindenmark but your sentiments expressed above are dead on. I suspect that few of the 'abuse offerers' have done audaxes (at least not in any number - and neither have I (but SR last year)) but the attraction of such a flagship event (with the control support in terms of 'bed spaces' and readily available food at all hours brings them off the sportive websites. My challenge will be to get that stare extended towards @mmmmartin 's 1000yds.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Danial has told his Little Helpers to make a note of those who have emailed shirty responses: they won't get a place. But many who really really want to ride LEL will have a training plan that might extend to four years: getting fit, getting strong, getting hard and getting mentally OK with audax. The first step in that plan will be to guarantee a place: you do this by volunteering at this year's event. Really, it's that simple. I packed at Moffatt last time and went home then helped for a couple of days at a control as riders finished: this gave me a guaranteed place this year that I'm not using. I'm volunteering at a control instead. And anyone who'd been in Audax UK has had time to get in while places were open only to members. It's not hard to get in to LEL. You just need a modicum of sense and a bit of planning.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Good points @mmmmartin and I have seen that you are volunteering on Another Place. I fear that in four years my body will have deteriorated further so I need to ride 2017 and then volunteer in 2021. Mille Pennines (after 2016 wrap) first though.

I'm still dithering :blush: my six year old's cancer relapsed a week after getting back from the Wild Atlantic Way Audax in June this year and life was pretty tough in the early stages :sad: plus not much time on the bike obviously , He had a stem cell transplant two days before Christmas and everything is going very well but I know how quickly these things can go nipples up and I could end up not being able to get enough miles in the legs . I will have to have a discussion with my wife and then make a decision fortunately as an Audax UK member for the last three years I have till the 19th of January to make up my mind and their is always the possibility of volunteering if I decide not to ride .

Paul

So my wife was all for me signing up but in the end I decided not to tempt fate and made the decision not to ride,I have signed up as a volunteer though so I will at least get to cheer everyone on :bravo:

Paul

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Probably will go for 3pm or 4pm start if I can get it! will try to get ahead of the bulge :biggrin:
Aren't the early starts at 8am?

I think I started at 8.30 in 2013 (as I'd ridden the prologue up from the Mall) and I just managed to stay ahead of the bulge. Pocklington were rationing sleep times (3 hrs per rider) when I got there about 1am but I did get a bed. When I left at dawn the place was carnage with sleeping bodies all over the place. I think that was the last time I saw the bulge though

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'm requesting a 10.30am start time - what appears to be just behind the main bulge so far. The plan is to rest, have a decent breakfast before the start then ride through the first night so hopefully I'll miss any major hassle *

* note that this is all dependent on being well enough.

Last edited:
Top Bottom