LEL 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It won't be an endurance ride any more, it'll be a 5* holiday!!! :smile: My meaning being it was all excellent in 2013 or I thought so.

I think one of the places the money is going is to pay staff to do some of the work (catering and cleaning were two of the areas I saw discussed I think) that was done by volunteers without pay last time. I volunteered in 2013, at 4 controls. I started on the Friday night in Loughton, helping getting ready for registration, headed north mid-morning on the Sunday and spent 3 days/nights (I think - it blurs) working split shifts and staffing the night kitchen at Barnie, then called in and stamped a few cards/cleared some tables in Pock, got comandeered to head evermore southwards and eventually threw in the towel, packed up and went home from Market Rasen early on the (presumably Thursday) morning having gone at that point about 36 hours without a nap. I did fall asleep on the platform as I was waiting for my train back north as the ride was heading off south towards the fenland hairdryer. I lost the best part of a stone in a week*.

I've yet to discover if the childcare gods will be smiling on me and whether I'll therefore be able to come back as a volunteer for this year. I think the organisers' intent is to make it a bit less of an endurance event for those that can!

*ETA - despite cankles to rival those of many of the riders!

iZaP

Über Member
It's easy trust me. First Audax and very little training done in 2013 :wacko:

I remember doing rides with you around 2011/12 you were a beast already at that time! :biggrin:

tatr

There's information on YACF about the general ticket sale tomorrow.

For everybody else, we open for entries on Friday 20 January 2017. We will sell tickets in three batches, at 18:00 GMT, 23:59 GMT, and 07:00 GMT on Saturday 21 January 2017. If we sell out, we’ll set up a waiting list. Full details to follow should we need them.

just 150 places available for each time slot

The first wave of general public places sold out more or less instantly.

How fast the next wave sells out depends on how many AUK members have bought places (as that'll determine the number of spots remaining) and the supply of people who want to ride to Edinburgh and back (which is a bit of an unknown quantity).
It will sell out very quickly no matter how many places are left.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Progress: hotel booked today for the Saturday and also the Thursday night (here's hoping :tongue: ) at the Best Western Epping Forest since both Travelodge and Premier Inn near Loughton have got expensive in the past couple of days.

Last edited:
I've signed up. I am nowhere near as fit as I was this time 4 years ago - when I failed to finish, and not in a brilliant emotional state either. But - well - it will be easier now than in 4 years.

I've gone the other way. I'll see you at Thirsk control :smile:

It was a tough decision, but I decided I wasn't up for the commitment I would need to get myself to a state where I could expect to finish the ride, and so instead I'll have more fun volunteering. As for 2021, I'll have to see how I feel then.
Thank you.

For anyone signing tomorrow - there is a good chance you won't succeed, so focus on applying as described above.

(yeah, there is a very good chance you will get a place before may when I realise I can't do it :sad: )

Top Bottom