LEL 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'm still dithering :blush: my six year old's cancer relapsed a week after getting back from the Wild Atlantic Way Audax in June this year and life was pretty tough in the early stages :sad: plus not much time on the bike obviously , He had a stem cell transplant two days before Christmas and everything is going very well but I know how quickly these things can go nipples up and I could end up not being able to get enough miles in the legs . I will have to have a discussion with my wife and then make a decision fortunately as an Audax UK member for the last three years I have till the 19th of January to make up my mind and their is always the possibility of volunteering if I decide not to ride .

Hope there's no relapse and he's OK. I've been dithering as my 12yo could ride the European Junior Tour in Assen which is the same week - this evening he came up and said "you've wanted to ride this. I'll do Assen next year, even if you're not able to ride LEL" :hugs:.

Last edited:

fatjel

Veteran
Well that's me entered.. For better or worse

Nebulous

Guru
It better be a long way away. I've a hell of a lot of work to do before then! I don't have an early entry, but intend entering if I can get a place.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
If you're planning on entering on the 20th, the organisers have just posted on Facebook that due to some issues with PayPal they won't be accepting entry payments that way. I'm sure it'll all be detailed on their website too

tatr

"Some issues" including PayPal not handing over the money until the event has finished, despite it being needed to pay for the event's expenses in advance, apparently.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
"Some issues" including PayPal not handing over the money until the event has finished, despite it being needed to pay for the event's expenses in advance, apparently.

Make sense.

The organisers only have enough left over from the last event - a few thousand - to make a start on the next one.

What they don't have is the tens of thousands they spend on controls, staff and equipment.

As many entrants will know, paid staffing, food quality and most other things have been ramped up this year.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Make sense.

The organisers only have enough left over from the last event - a few thousand - to make a start on the next one.

What they don't have is the tens of thousands they spend on controls, staff and equipment.

As many entrants will know, paid staffing, food quality and most other things have been ramped up this year.
It won't be an endurance ride any more, it'll be a 5* holiday!!! :smile: My meaning being it was all excellent in 2013 or I thought so.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
It won't be an endurance ride any more, it'll be a 5* holiday!!! :smile: My meaning being it was all excellent in 2013 or I thought so.

They are accepting twice as many entries this time - 1,500 - so the extra capacity at controls will be needed.

The experience for the individual will also improve, although my feedback as a volunteer last time was the same as yours - very few complaints from riders.

Extra riders means a bigger budget, about £450,000, so it's even easier to understand why the organisers need to get the entrance money in before they can spend it.

It's quite a feat to balance that cashflow.

The event nearly went badly wrong last time when the organisers were knocked by the towel supplier.

There simply wasn't enough money in the kitty to pay twice - the day was saved by a loan from Audax UK.

Top Bottom