LEL 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'm really keen on attempting this. I'm on the mailing list, and I'm trying to work out what it will take in terms of effort / expense / time off work / preparation.

First things first, what will I need for a bike? I have a tarmac, an edinburgh bicycle cross bike for commuting and a 1980's motobecane. None of these are really suitable.

So am I looking at a tourer? I don't like the look of the newish gravel bike type touring things. It feels like they are trying to do everything at once and bringing in too many compromises, so mabe something like a Ridgeback Panorama?

Second thing would be when? Building up my miles and distances as I am is fine, I don't want to spend over £1000 on a new bike and not get a place, so I may buy one as soon as my place is confirmed,assuming I get in. Would that work for getting used to it / tweaking it?

I built up for Paris-Brest-Paris from the year before - doing a 200k in the July '14 leading to a 600k in July '15 before PBP in the August.

The bike I used for PBP was a Ridgeback Platinum which is a traditional audax-style tourer, built from second-hand parts on a £50 frameset from here in the May before PBP in the August. It was tested on a 400k qualifier in June, then ridden on my 600k qualifier and PBP.

Basically any bike you'd use otherwise is good. It doesn't need to be expensive.

Last edited:

marcusjb

The only thing that really matters for long distance riding is that the bike is comfortable for you.

Most riders are going to be physically sat on the bike for 50 to 80 hours on LEL, so it needs to be comfortable.

Many ways to skin that cat and there's no right or wrong. Doesn't really matter what the bike is made of, what it's intended purpose is, just so long as you are comfy on it. You will see anything and everything on a typical long ride.

There is only really one feature that a majority of riders tend to have on their bikes in long distance riding, and even that is now becoming more common outside of long distances, and that is wider tyres. 25 and 28mm are used by most riders.

Beyond that, you'll see everything from very exotic carbon to knackered old steel framesets that have been rescued from a skip.

Ride what you have, probably the Tarmac, on a few longer events - if you're not too beaten up on a 400, then chances are you've got a good chance of being comfy as you start going longer.

Nebulous

Guru
Thanks folks there is an interesting variety of bikes in those photos. That may be a decision for further down the road- next few months will need to be about building distance. Getting in could well be tough anyway.

Thanks folks there is an interesting variety of bikes in those photos. That may be a decision for further down the road- next few months will need to be about building distance. Getting in could well be tough anyway.
^^^This. In 2013, it sold out in less than 24 hours, and it's only getting more popular, and quite a few of the places have been sold already. So don't spend any money yet.

If you are already a member of AUK and were in March 2015, then you have guaranteed entry. If you are not a member, you might consider joining. Last time they kept finding ways to extend the field, and eventually every AUK member on the waiting list got in. It's the same team organising it. To be fair, they probably won't do that again, as they presumably know how many they can handle, but it might give you a slight advantage joining now. I think last time they started with 1000 places and increased it 1500 (my memory is not clear). Next year is 1500.

Most were audax/tourers, but some used carbon roadies, so your Tarmac could do the job.

There was also a couple of Bromptons.
You've missed one type of vehicle that really proves you can do it on anything

Idai-and-Alan-by-Adam-Young.jpg

For the love of the sky fairy, it's only a year away. You lot are sounding like you're mad enough to do it :wacko:
Well, you have to commit and pay the full amount in less than six months, so now is the time to decide.

Tried (and enjoyed) a 400km ride so this should be 3 1/2 times better, no? :laugh:

No amount of 400's can prepare you for days three and four and five.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Well, you have to commit and pay the full amount in less than six months, so now is the time to decide.

No amount of 400's can prepare you for days three and four and five.
I believe I made my decision on Aug 1st 2013. But good luck to everyone who does it. I'll hopefully be waving you into Pocklington :hello:

tatr

Lots of interesting LEL news coming out now, including details on new controls.

What are people planning to do over the winter to stay fit?

My to-do list is:
- bike fit
- try and find some shoes I agree with
- hill repeats
- at least one 200 a month

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Lots of interesting LEL news coming out now, including details on new controls.

What are people planning to do over the winter to stay fit?

My to-do list is:
- bike fit
- try and find some shoes I agree with
- hill repeats
- at least one 200 a month
From experience I would say get comfortable on your bike, if you feel that needs a bike fit for it but I wouldn't leave it too late in case it involves a change of position.

I'd also humbly suggest that to prepare for what you're attempting back to back 100s or 150s are more beneficial than a 200. It's the mental aspect of being tired and getting back on your bike to do it again that I found tough.

tatr

Good point. I did two 200s last weekend and the second was definitely hard work.

However I'm more likely to get 5x 1hr slots a week than lots of free weekends. Hence the thought of hill repeats.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Just out of interest (LEL is nowhere near my bucket list) when you guys talk about 200s are you talking about randonneur style 200 km or Godwin style 200 miles?

I'm just trying to gauge exactly how bonkers you are.

Top Bottom