LEL 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Not sure about @tatr but I always talk in miles
Respectfully very much bonkers then :wacko:

tatr

I was talking in km so I'm only 5/8 bonkers.

As I understand it Audax is usually measured in km because the French origins of Randonneuring are completely sacred. Other than the name, naturally, which the Brits have changed to another word that means something confusingly similar but not quite the same in French.

(Although that means my training for LEL is 37.5% more deficient than @martint235 suspects.)

I was talking in km so I'm only 5/8 bonkers.

Nicely put.

I'm also metric because - though I'm not quite to the manner born - I started learning about it at age 10. I don't know my weight in stone, and always measure my rides in kilometres. Though on long rides I occupy some of my mind by converting the distanced into miles, in case a native asks "how far have you cycled"

My ex used them interchangeably. Which is mostly annoying, but nice when he told facebook I had ridden 200 miles (really 200km) for the Dunwich Dynamo.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I only asked because to me "a 200" in cycling terms means 200k, and that was what @tatr did indeed mean. But something about @martint235 's reply made me suspect, correctly, that he was dealing in miles.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Perhaps the trick there is to ride hard enough that day three is an easy one and there is no day four or five.
That was my 2013 plan. First night in Brampton etc. Didn't pan out that way although I did still front load the ride leaving Edinburgh less than 48 hours in. The effort took its toll later though and when I hit Hairdryer Day on the Fens, it took me around 8 hours to do 60 miles. My partner, given an eta of 2pm, was less than impressed when I rolled into Loughton at gone 5.

tatr

I'm really looking forward to this, but getting fit is going to be hard work.

Post child my 20 min FTP has dropped off a cliff. Add on the kilos I've moved from "power to weight" to "weight to power" :-(

I'm still going to sign up for a 100 hour slot though. Big goals are worth having a go at. Then murder myself on hill climbs every morning until July.

I'm still dithering :blush: my six year old's cancer relapsed a week after getting back from the Wild Atlantic Way Audax in June this year and life was pretty tough in the early stages :sad: plus not much time on the bike obviously , He had a stem cell transplant two days before Christmas and everything is going very well but I know how quickly these things can go nipples up and I could end up not being able to get enough miles in the legs . I will have to have a discussion with my wife and then make a decision fortunately as an Audax UK member for the last three years I have till the 19th of January to make up my mind and their is always the possibility of volunteering if I decide not to ride .

Paul

Top Bottom