LEL 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
They are accepting twice as many entries this time - 1,500 - so the extra capacity at controls will be needed.
You are obviously more involved than me, but I think this a little wrong. It's probably twice as many as they originally planed for 2013, but I think it's "only" about 50% than they ended up accepting

And for anyone who hasn't seen it on FB ....

"After months and months of negotiation, Paypal have just locked our account and frozen 70% of our funds. This is despite them calling us to discuss how they could work with us during the year ahead.

In 2013 Paypal caused us huge amounts of work, wasting time we could have spent on the event.

Regrettably this means that we are not going to use Paypal when we open for entries on 20 January. You will be able to pay by bank transfer only.

If you want to pay by credit card, you can use Transferwise and pay us in pounds sterling, dollars or euros.

Sorry about this. I know many of you find Paypal really easy to use. We'll still use them for jerseys and other merchandise, but this event is impossible to run with Paypal holding so much of your cash as security."

I didn't eat any cake on LEL 2013 and still put on weight

Weight weight, or water weight? I was 5kg heavier at the end of the ride, but my fingers were fat little sausages, and it was hard to identify my knees or ankles in the swollen tubes that were my legs

(there are somethings they don't tell you about endurance cycling)

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Weight weight, or water weight? I was 5kg heavier at the end of the ride, but my fingers were fat little sausages, and it was hard to identify my knees or ankles in the swollen tubes that were my legs

(there are somethings they don't tell you about endurance cycling)
Proper weight or at least I never really shifted it. Admittedly other than commuting I did very little cycling afterwards.

My first day on LEL I did get it badly wrong and ended up struggling into Pocklington due to not eating enough. From when I left Pocklington, I ate at every control and took bananas with me when I left.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
I've been entertaining the idea for a little while last year, having had a guaranteed place due to helping out in 2013 ... but there are too many commitments in my diary for Apr-Jun this year that would just cause conflict at too many fronts. So I decided to help out again instead (which means another guaranteed place, for 2021) and am quite relieved.
Somebody suggested I should just do the route some other time by myself, as an ELE, but that really doesn't appeal without the wider event as a backdrop, especially the far southern part. If I want to do a really long ride by myself, I'd head to a different destination instead of that there London :tongue:.
Looking forward to seeing some of you at Innerleithen :hello:

videoman

Guru
I've volunteered to help out for the week as there's no chance of me riding the route, not in five days but could probably manage it in a month!

iZaP

Über Member
People mentioned tickets selling out quickly...is it highly likely that on 20th they will sell real quick as well?

I'll be camping in front of my PC to secure a place then!!:smile:

tatr

The first wave of general public places sold out more or less instantly.

How fast the next wave sells out depends on how many AUK members have bought places (as that'll determine the number of spots remaining) and the supply of people who want to ride to Edinburgh and back (which is a bit of an unknown quantity).

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
People mentioned tickets selling out quickly...is it highly likely that on 20th they will sell real quick as well?

I'll be camping in front of my PC to secure a place then!!:smile:

Probably similar info to that already given, but here's a post lifted from the other place from Roger Cortis, the LEL moneyman:

3 releases of places on Friday with 150 in each offer

We open for "general" entries on Friday 20 January 2017. We will sell tickets in three batches, at 18:00 GMT, 23:59 GMT, and 07:00 GMT on Saturday 21 January 2017.
If we sell out, we’ll set up a waiting list.

If you don't secure a place next Friday / Saturday then don't get disheartened. Join the waiting list. People do drop out because of life, family, work, injury - all sorts of reasons. Places do become available.

Worth getting onto the wait list as we still have 100 of the first 400 who have not paid their balance .. we are chasing hard this week .. but maybe a sizeable number have changed their mind and not so far bothered to tell us.

Top Bottom