LEL 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tatr

The Shark was about 3,000m of climbing in a day and that felt like a lot of hills.

So 11,000m in 4 days is a fair bit. Looking forward to it!

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
The Shark was about 3,000m of climbing in a day and that felt like a lot of hills.

So 11,000m in 4 days is a fair bit. Looking forward to it!

Actually, 11,000 m over 1433 km does not look that bad. It's about as hilly as PBP (10000 meter over 1200km), and for riders used to UK terrain, PBP did not feel overly hilly. If LEL had the same climbing per 100km as the Shark, it would be 21000 m.

marcusjb

LEL 2013 certainly felt hillier than PBP generally.

With the fens being flatter than a flat thing for around 350-400km of the distance, it packs that climbing in more densely than PBP which just keeps on rolling.

I haven't looked at the route for 2017 in any detail, but I am led to understand there is less flat in the Lincolnshire section this time. This is good and bad. It will relieve the boredom, but no more tearing up across the Fens at 35kph+ with the tail wind from heaven that got us to Edinburgh in 37 hours!

wajc

Veteran
LEL 2013 certainly felt hillier than PBP generally.

With the fens being flatter than a flat thing for around 350-400km of the distance, it packs that climbing in more densely than PBP which just keeps on rolling.

I haven't looked at the route for 2017 in any detail, but I am led to understand there is less flat in the Lincolnshire section this time. This is good and bad. It will relieve the boredom, but no more tearing up across the Fens at 35kph+ with the tail wind from heaven that got us to Edinburgh in 37 hours!

You won't notice any difference to be honest with the amount of fen roads you'll encounter but you will enter the Lincolnshire Wolds proper a few miles earlier than on the 2013 route.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
It'd have helped for PBP if I'd studied the route properly in terms of topography. That way I wouldn't have ridded it in 53/39 plus an 11-25 rear :rolleyes:

For LEL I'm planning on using the same Ridgeback Platinum but with a 52/36 up front and 11-28 rear :okay: . Everything else will be exactly the same (ITM Aero 3.0 wheels, Dura-Ace/Ultegra groupset, etc.) as it just worked, despite being supposedly slow and low-spec compared with the other Vedettes I was riding with (it wasn't!).

tatr

Ah, yes, that famously low-end Dura-Ace. Almost universally seen on Tesco bikes I understand.

(What do you consider high end? :laugh:)

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I shall be on volunteer duty at the Barnard Castle control, which is to be in the same place as last time.

I have a meeting with the LEL gaffers - including the grand fromage - later in the year, so if there's anything riders would like to me raise, fire away.

I rode from London to Edingburgh last week almost entirely on the LEL route. It was a no-messing affair in just a day and a half. If anybody is interested to read about it this has been my most popular blog entry so far Nipping out for Irn Bru (blog entry)

IMG_2525.jpg

outlash

also available in orange
I have registered my interest but in the likely event I won't get in, I've put my name down to help out at the St. Ives control as it's up the road from me.

Nebulous

Guru
I'm really keen on attempting this. I'm on the mailing list, and I'm trying to work out what it will take in terms of effort / expense / time off work / preparation.

First things first, what will I need for a bike? I have a tarmac, an edinburgh bicycle cross bike for commuting and a 1980's motobecane. None of these are really suitable.

So am I looking at a tourer? I don't like the look of the newish gravel bike type touring things. It feels like they are trying to do everything at once and bringing in too many compromises, so mabe something like a Ridgeback Panorama?

Second thing would be when? Building up my miles and distances as I am is fine, I don't want to spend over £1000 on a new bike and not get a place, so I may buy one as soon as my place is confirmed,assuming I get in. Would that work for getting used to it / tweaking it?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'm really keen on attempting this. I'm on the mailing list, and I'm trying to work out what it will take in terms of effort / expense / time off work / preparation.

First things first, what will I need for a bike? I have a tarmac, an edinburgh bicycle cross bike for commuting and a 1980's motobecane. None of these are really suitable.

So am I looking at a tourer? I don't like the look of the newish gravel bike type touring things. It feels like they are trying to do everything at once and bringing in too many compromises, so mabe something like a Ridgeback Panorama?

Second thing would be when? Building up my miles and distances as I am is fine, I don't want to spend over £1000 on a new bike and not get a place, so I may buy one as soon as my place is confirmed,assuming I get in. Would that work for getting used to it / tweaking it?

I volunteered last time at the Barnard Castle control and can tell you there were a wide variety of bikes.

Most were audax/tourers, but some used carbon roadies, so your Tarmac could do the job.

There was also a couple of Bromptons.

It's an audax event so the strict rule of 'any bicycle' applies.

What others do may not directly help you, but it may indicate bike choice is strictly what you think will work the best.

Top Bottom