LEL 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trickedem

Guru
I will not be using any spreadsheets. I will know my cut off times for each control. If I arrive early I may have a rest and a sleep. If I'm close, then I will just keep going.
People tracking me on Cyclechat, twitter and Facebook really helped to keep my spirits up last time, so I will be looking for the same support this year.

Nebulous

Guru
I'm in the process of speccing out a bike for LEL, and I'm currently torn between either a Genesis Tour de Fer (and stripping it of touring accessories for LEL) or a Croix de Fer (with a view to converting it into a tourer after the event)

I don't want to make the same false economy mistake I did with the (sadly stolen) Kaffenback, where I used a relatively cheap second hand bike as a starting point for the build, as by the time I'd gotten it up to touring requirements I'd spent far more than I would have if I'd bought an off-the-shelf bike.

Any thoughts?

I've looked and looked and to be honest I'm still looking, but I've kind of convinced myself I'm going to stick with my tarmac. I've fitted raceblades and they work okay in the wet, though they do throw a lot of water on the brake calipers. Hopefully early August will be dry and sunny!

If I was buying it would be either a genesis equilibrium, there are some good deals on a 2016 20 disc, not so much on the non-disc version. Or more likely the spa steel audax bike. They can do handbuilt wheels, with a dynamo, lights and a charging point for about £1200.

Redlight

. Hopefully early August will be dry and sunny!
Don't count on it. LEL2009 included some of the worst weather I've ever encountered on a bike, including flood water deep enough to cover my wheel hubs. On the other hand, in 2013 those arriving at the Gt Easton control on the Thursday looked as though they had spent the previous 6 hours in a wind tunnel set to "bake". Best come prepared for all extremes and all conditions in-between.

fatjel

Veteran
Very interested to hear what gear others are planning to use
I shall be using my Boardman team carbon..
Theres very little left that came from Halfords tho.apart from frame and forks
In case of last minute breakdown a spa steel audax is ready to go
B&M ixon light ,etrex gps and a pocket full of batteries.
I tried a dynamo and hated it.

PpPete

Legendary Member
A stubborn streak and money to buy drinks / ice cream at every village you pass through.
And try not to slumber after the ice-cream or that Trickedem might get embarrasing shot of you..:laugh:

IMG_1962_zpseuww3r85.jpg

Redlight

Apart from shorts, headcover, widely applied sunblock and plain water in at least one bottle (for drenching not drinking), have you particular recommendations for those conditions?

Odd though it may sound, a base layer under the jersey. I've found that in very hot weather the jersey can get so wet with sweat that it clings to the skin and the lycra/polyester can be quite irritating. The base layer acts as a shield between the two - and makes it much easier to remove the jersey when you get to your bag drop :-)

robjh

Legendary Member
Yay, I've just seen that the LEL 2017 will be coming right past my house on the southbound leg. If I'm around on the 4th August I shall look out for you all.

Trickedem

Guru
I have a 12.15 start. I'm hoping the rest of my loose team of 3 Brits and 3 Germans called 'Don't tell him Pike' get the same start time.
We've also got Sir Wobbly from the other place in our starting group. If there is a head wind i will be sheltering behind him and his Pashley

Top Bottom