Lesson learned NEVER ride without your helmet !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I crashed my Longstaff trike last year and was thrown into a lamp post at around twenty mph , I fractured my shoulder blade in at least three placed , and the top of the socket (Glenoid) was broken of the scapula requiring screwing back in place I also scraped the side of my face . Thankfully I was wearing a Castelli cotton cap so suffered no head injury what so ever.

Now I wouldn't claim my cotton cap saved my life but who's to say it didn't ?

Paul

I crashed my Longstaff trike last year and was thrown into a lamp post at around twenty mph , I fractured my shoulder blade in at least three placed , and the top of the socket (Glenoid) was broken of the scapula requiring screwing back in place I also scraped the side of my face . Thankfully I was wearing a Castelli cotton cap so suffered no head injury what so ever.

Paul
Yes but that's a top end cycling cap, would a cheap one work as well? Would a Rapha one offer even better protection?? Who knows???

Paul

Yeah but what about the Longstaff??

CaadX

I ride the Doethie valley and the A40 and A48 . On the Doethie I wear a helmet , on the others? Suspenders and makeup ! Probably tells you all you need to know on the subject.

tinywheels

Über Member
it's personal choice and I don't care if you do or don't. However my day job is in the a and e department of a hospital. I meet many on a day to day basis who have come a cropper. CT is my line of work, were also close to a popular mountain bike hotspot. From my viewpoint if you come off its gonna hurt. Arms,legs heads,faces you name it. Your only a heartbeat away from meeting me on a professional basis. A recent visitor,found in the road,is still unaware of who or where he is some days later.You decide, its your choice.
Interestingly I keep meeting roadies who manage to cycle into stationery vehicles. weird

Ajax Bay

Guru
Holy thread resurrection! Just the 33 months. Riding bikes with tinywheels also has additional risk as they will not cope with potholes so well. I agree wearing helmets on knarly MTB trails makes sense, provided the sense of protection you might feel doesn't encourage risk taking.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
it's personal choice and I don't care if you do or don't. However my day job is in the a and e department of a hospital. I meet many on a day to day basis who have come a cropper. CT is my line of work, were also close to a popular mountain bike hotspot. From my viewpoint if you come off its gonna hurt. Arms,legs heads,faces you name it. Your only a heartbeat away from meeting me on a professional basis. A recent visitor,found in the road,is still unaware of who or where he is some days later.You decide, its your choice.
Interestingly I keep meeting roadies who manage to cycle into stationery vehicles. weird
Like this guy

View: https://youtu.be/6o3B601Ndsg

Ajax Bay

Guru
@Ming the Merciless said:
"Due to the significant increase in volume a helmet creates you are far more likely to
A. Hit your head, calculated at 70% more probable.
B. Cause a rotational brain injury, the most serious type. MIPs is an attempt to mitigate something helmets make far far worse.
C. Suffer spinal injury
D. Cycle helmets works by absorbing a small amount of impact forces through compression. A cracked helmet shows it did not work or at least the forces / energy of the impact far exceeded its design capability."

Venod

Eh up

I remember riding a 25 on the O2 course, I was over the moon because I had beaten a clubmate who I had never beaten before, until he informed me he had ridden straight into the back of a parked car. He won't have had a helmet on, it was a long time ago.

Top Bottom