Lesson learned NEVER ride without your helmet !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tinywheels

Über Member
I was only making an observation in my original post,it did not constitute advice. Clearly being alert to your surroundings and other road users will have a corresponding effect on your safety. Personally as I ride a particularly odd bicycle, I find a lurid green Day-Glo jacket, many flashing lights etc to be an excellent way to go. However I also trust no other road users. Being of mature years and having been over the bars numerous times, I'm taking no chances.

tyred

Legendary Member

That is why I never cycle without my glasses....

raleighnut

Legendary Member
That is why I never cycle without my glasses....
TBH if he was looking forwards he wouldn't have needed specs, all very well staring at the stem if you are Chris Froome but on the road. :eek: It may well be that he took advice from a bike shop and bought a frame too small so it makes his neck hurt to look ahead :biggrin:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Keith - I suggest it's not 'hatred towards helmets' it's a very British resistance to people trying to browbeat people into wearing helmets yet being unable to share science explaining/proving why there is a net benefit in wearing one. And a longer term fear of suffering the Australian fate (and other countries) of far fewer people riding bicycles, with the associated substantial public health cost, if helmets are made a legal requirement. Are you surprised by the lack of 'hatred' towards outer garments purporting to offer higher conspicuity?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Keith - I suggest it's not 'hatred towards helmets' it's a very British resistance to people trying to browbeat people into wearing helmets yet being unable to share science explaining/proving why there is a net benefit in wearing one. And a longer term fear of suffering the Australian fate (and other countries) of far fewer people riding bicycles, with the associated substantial public health cost, if helmets are made a legal requirement. Are you surprised by the lack of 'hatred' towards outer garments purporting to offer higher conspicuity?
All of this tends to come from folk with no real clue as to how helmets are manufactured and tested (it's not against 2t vehicles travelling at speed) but statically on a jig. The resulting EN1078 standard pass mark is lower than an equivalent real world force by many many many many thousands of joules.

classic33

Leg End Member
I'm always surprised by the lack of "should have been wearing a helmet" comments when people injure their heads when not riding a bike.
:whistle:
Would you even consider wearing one when not on a bike.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I wear one personally, don't have an opinion either way with people who don't as it's up to them at the end of the day.

Just seems a disproportionate reaction every time anyone even whispers the "H" word..
it's not so much the case when someone whispers the 'H' word.... but when someone states quite clearly 'never ride without your helmet'.

mustang1

Guru
Yeah. Helmet and gloves too. Probably some eye protection too. I used to do all three now just do the former two. I've gotta get myself some optics that are compatible with me.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Help what? So far as I know men and women don't have different responses to injury, different responses to risk, different attitudes to the truth or different ability to understand simple arguments.

The fact is that the OP didn't, apparently, hit the part of her head that would have been protected by a helmet, so her OP is irrelevant to the argument about whether they are useful, and will join the extremely long list of people over-claiming protective properties to the extent of magic.
It’s very telling that people don’t seem to understand the bleedin’ obvious....

Top Bottom