Lesson learned NEVER ride without your helmet !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
Have you ever been told that you can't join a ride if you insist on wearing it?

I don't go on club rides, that's a matter you should take up with them.

The brunt of my riding is commuting to work through city centre, and out with family at weekends.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Maybe all pedestrians should use these to protect from injury from motor vehicles

1618517098461.png

I don't go on club rides, that's a matter you should take up with them.
So basically, you take the "I'm all right Jack!" approach! Marvellous.
(Something tells me you wouldn't exactly leap out of your chair if mandatory helmet laws were proposed. There's a fair chance that an MP whom YOU voted for has proposed or supported such things.)

Last edited by a moderator:

berty bassett

Legendary Member
I have been drawn in !
I hit my head on a car windscreen when it turned right across me , the windscreen split the helmet , split my head , gave me concussion and left me in hospital - I believe if I wasn’t wearing the helmet then it would have been a lot worse
I work on a building site and had half a brick fall off scaffold and hit hard hat , cracking hat and cutting head - again I believe the helmet saved serious injury
It doesn’t take a genius to work out that if you protect your head even a little then it could save damage to your noggin
It’s not law to wear one on a bike and completely up to the individual but I like to think all the professional bike riders, jumpers , tricksters have all assessed the situation and made their own minds up

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I have been drawn in !
I hit my head on a car windscreen when it turned right across me , the windscreen split the helmet , split my head , gave me concussion and left me in hospital - I believe if I wasn’t wearing the helmet then it would have been a lot worse
I work on a building site and had half a brick fall off scaffold and hit hard hat , cracking hat and cutting head - again I believe the helmet saved serious injury
It doesn’t take a genius to work out that if you protect your head even a little then it could save damage to your noggin
It’s not law to wear one on a bike and completely up to the individual but I like to think all the professional bike riders, jumpers , tricksters have all assessed the situation and made their own minds up

Do you wear a helmet when you are walking or driving? If not why not ?

berty bassett

Legendary Member
You may like to think that, but the majority are just following the rules. Sorry!
Probably but I doubt if wearing helmet does harm and may protect you
It wasn’t a rule that I had to wear one - but I am glad I did
I hope you will go through life never being in a position where a helmet may save injury

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Less chance of falling over , bit of a silly question , each to their own , feel free to do what you wish and I will do likewise

Actually not a silly question. There’s a slightly higher risk you’ll injure your head walking than cycling. If your assessment was risk based. You’d not decide to wear a helmet cycling without also deciding to wear one when walking.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

Cycling helmets aren’t designed, tested or approved for protection in a collision with another vehicle.

Check with the manufacturer what its limitations are and you’ll find they’re for mitigating lesser injuries sustained in a fall from a stationary position. Your helmet split so it has failed, not surprising as it was in an event outwith its design and function parameters.

See also this…

View: https://twitter.com/SurreyRoadCops/status/1437662304498327553?s=19

Top Bottom