Let's See Your Folding Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tds101

A little ride on the Tern Joe P24 from a week ago,...
20200507_181131[2745].jpg
20200507_181139[2746].jpg

Last edited:

Drzdave58

Über Member
Just picked up this MEC badged dahon with an 8 speed nexus. Couldn’t resist as it was priced real low for a quick sale so I jumped on it. It was grimy and dirty and no air in the tires when I brought it home, but when I cleaned it all up it came out to practically new condition! Put on some schwalbe tires and changed the saddle. Took it for a test ride and it’s perfect. It’s gonna be a great spare bike to easily fold up and throw in the back of the car.

avecReynolds531

Veteran
I've been meaning to get around to posting this for a while. Here is our M3L, that we got second hand several years ago. Brompton confirmed a 2008 model. All it needed was a clean, and the front block tightening. A front bag was also included - which has been brilliant.

The Marathon Plus tyres were already fitted & new: the peace of mind is, for me, worth a reduction in ride quality.

The fold is amazing- such a neat design.

The SA hub gears have been no trouble so far. The chain ring size means the lowest gear isn't great for long climbs, whereas 3rd can feel overgeared at times. In the future, a smaller chain ring may be the way to go.

The only other possible changes would be new grips (with small bar ends), and the saddle isn't the last word in comfort, but bearable enough not to replace asap.

Great fun, practical & versatile. Always puts a smile on your face!

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
I've been meaning to get around to posting this for a while. Here is our M3L, bought second hand several years ago. Brompton confirmed a 2008 model. All it needed was a clean, and the front block tightening. A front bag was also included - which has been brilliant.
View attachment 524754

View attachment 524755

View attachment 524757
The Marathon Plus tyres were already fitted & new. We're used to M+ tyres: the peace of mind about the p word is worth the trade of some reduction in ride quality.
View attachment 524758

View attachment 524759
The fold it still a thing of amazement every time - such a neat design.
View attachment 524760

I'm grateful that the SA hub gears have been no trouble so far. I'm surely not the only one who, as a result of a slipping SA hub, has had eye watering meetings with a top tube: that pain may've been 40 years ago (Raleigh Chopper!), but you well remember the experience.
The chain ring size means the lowest gear isn't great for long climbs, whereas 3rd can feel overgeared at times. In the future, a smaller chain ring may be something to consider.

The only other possible changes would be Ergon grips (with the small bar ends), and the saddle isn't the last word in comfort, but bearable enough not to replace asap.

Great fun, practical & versatile. Always put a smile on your face.

It looks like a 50T chain ring, I run the same (with three speeds) and for riding in and out of town it’s fine as you can almost leave it in second and ride it as a single speed and in third gear it really flies! If I was to venture further it may be slightly over geared, back in 1995 when mine was new it originally had a 44T chain ring.

Try swapping to a later Brompton saddle and pentaclip, well worth the upgrade.

Everyone should have a Brompton, it’s my favourite out of my three bikes. Just makes me smile 😀

The tire I replaced today was on MY Tempest Blue S6L....the Missus’ M6L, despite nearly identical mileage from new, is far from needing a tire yet. Must be due to our not-nearly-identical weight...I outgun her by nearly 80 lbs. Both bikes got some TLC today along with my new tire.

Not a mile too soon.

roley poley

Über Member
The tire I replaced today was on MY Tempest Blue S6L....the Missus’ M6L, despite nearly identical mileage from new, is far from needing a tire yet. Must be due to our not-nearly-identical weight...I outgun her by nearly 80 lbs. Both bikes got some TLC today along with my new tire. View attachment 526621
View attachment 526622
Not a mile too soon.
If it's a Marathon + did you have any issues with punctures even with that amount of wear ??

If it's a Marathon + did you have any issues with punctures even with that amount of wear ??
It was (and is...replaced like for like) a Marathon + and have never had a flat.

Top Bottom