Let's See Your Folding Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Just popped to Halfords for a kiddies saddle so I could finish fitting a child carrier on “ Badger”. Now we can take our granddaughter out exploring 👍
The bike still folds although it is about 3-5 cm wider, and it’s a matter of a couple of minutes to switch between Brommies.
Mummy has a Hamax child carrier on her Scott bike but that means the child looking at mummies back. This way she can see where we’re going. 👍

LardAbove

There was a debate, on another forum I post in, regarding the UK bike rules on LH or RH sidecar legality...
Apparently it firmed up as bike 'away from kerb' [RH sided] but 'continental' combos are often the other way.
Finally, it came down to [likely] UK plod knowing the specifics, should you end up owning a 'foreign' [LH sided] combo.

LardAbove

a.twiddler

Veteran
There was a debate, on another forum I post in, regarding the UK bike rules on LH or RH sidecar legality...
Apparently it firmed up as bike 'away from kerb' [RH sided] but 'continental' combos are often the other way.
Finally, it came down to [likely] UK plod knowing the specifics, should you end up owning a 'foreign' [LH sided] combo.

LardAbove
Circa 1987, I believe. If you have a bike first registered before then, a RH sidecar is legal, but not if registered afterwards. Seems discriminatory against bikes, considering the number of imported cars about that have the steering wheel on the left. The sight lines while driving would be equally restricted, if that is the issue. The rider would probably have better all round unrestricted visibility.

mitchibob

Über Member
Just popped to Halfords for a kiddies saddle so I could finish fitting a child carrier on “ Badger”. Now we can take our granddaughter out exploring 👍
The bike still folds although it is about 3-5 cm wider, and it’s a matter of a couple of minutes to switch between Brommies.
Mummy has a Hamax child carrier on her Scott bike but that means the child looking at mummies back. This way she can see where we’re going. 👍

View attachment 592001
Love seeing these out and about! Had seen one locally, looked great plan!

mitchibob

Über Member
This is mine. Black edition S6L. Compact drops, QR aerobars, QR SPD pedals, custom water bottle holder and Wahoo mount. Brooks B17 saddle. Thinking of putting a gold chain on. Too much? :-0
Knew I'd find aero bars on a Brompton somewhere! :-D I'm only just about brave enough to use them on road bike on roads that I know well

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
This is mine. Black edition S6L. Compact drops, QR aerobars, QR SPD pedals, custom water bottle holder and Wahoo mount. Brooks B17 saddle. Thinking of putting a gold chain on. Too much? :-0
Hi, can we see that folded?

mitchibob

Über Member
Sure - I removed the QR aerobars and this is the fold.
Need to ask, what QR aerobars are they again? plus, how safe do you actually feel using them on a Brommie? Surely the slight additional vibration makes them a little more dodgy being QR? Plus, there's reduced gyroscopic force of smaller wheels reducing stability and not having quite the same leverage on the bars when in the aero bars. I talked myself out of the idea in another thread on this forum, even though, I'm still semi tempted to try... maybe on a track.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
And the other one is now a 2 speed. I've had it many years, and prices weren't as stratospheric then. It started as a cream S3L and has morphed unto a candy apple red S3E-X. I couldn't think of any use for the stock 12T/16T setup, so this is a 52T chainring with 13T/15T at the back, which is where the 6-speed spends 99% of its time. Shimano 7400 BB just because I could (and I chased and faced the shell first).

51291809316_4acf890341_z.jpg 20210705_165943 by rogerzilla, on Flickr

51291809206_330f572c1b_z.jpg 20210705_165955 by rogerzilla, on Flickr

51291809021_ff80820928_z.jpg 20210705_170012 by rogerzilla, on Flickr

51291063747_23989004a9_z.jpg 20210705_170005 by rogerzilla, on Flickr

51292523899_3f756e9cd1_z.jpg 20210705_170111 by rogerzilla, on Flickr

51292814520_b156959110_z.jpg 20210705_170019 by rogerzilla, on Flickr

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
It's 11 years old. The factory paint lasted precisely one year before bubbling and flaking off, although the bike never got wet. This is a proper wet paint job by Argos (flam red = red transparent lacquer over silver basecoat, aka candy apple).

Top Bottom