Let's See Your Folding Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Blimey this is turning into a show us your Brompton thread!

In the interests of balance, here's a pic of my Tern Link Uno just after I purchased it in 2015. After daily commuting service for three years it's looking a little scruffier now, but I don't have a more recent photo. It's been an ultra reliable commuter bike and rides really well
Bike.jpg

Dan B

Disengaged member

In the interests of balance, here's a pic of my Tern Link Uno just after I purchased it in 2015. After daily commuting service for three years it's looking a little scruffier now, but I don't have a more recent photo. It's been an ultra reliable commuter bike and rides really well View attachment 426848 .
I have a Tern too, it folds down to the size of a bicycle

Attachments

• IMG_20180817_084647.jpg
    IMG_20180817_084647.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 85
OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

Dealing with tiny wheels and an 11t top sprocket. Causes huge issues so building a freewheel that goes to a 9t then i can put a 61/46 combo on the front and solve a huge pile of problems..
Please excuse my lack of knowledge on the subject, but does that mean a higher gear for more speed?

GM

Legendary Member

Wow! I like that, apparently all the Nine Streets are unique.

Yes, apparently, I’m sure there will be only minor differences tbh, but it’s stunning looking!
I really love that the red appears translucent, which means the brazing has a particular look, similar to the raw lacquer finish.
Nice to have I must say, although have only ridden 250m so far due to the weather and the journey back.

Last edited:

chriscross1966

Über Member
Please excuse my lack of knowledge on the subject, but does that mean a higher gear for more speed?
Yeah, kind of... the biggest ring you can fit to a Brompton without folding issues is around 60 teeth, the smallest rear sprocket generally available for the wheels i have fitted is a 11, with racing tyres thats less than 80 gear inches in top and i cannot spin my legs over at a decent speed... the 75t ring solves that, but causes problems all over the place of its own. By building a freewheel that goes to a 9t top sprocket I can then swap out that chainset and its overwidth bottom bracket solving issues of chain retention and folding in one go. Other mods needed are to move the rear brake mounting to get the Delta repositioned to not hit the ground when folded and use a stronger setup on the handlebar swivel.

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

Yeah, kind of... the biggest ring you can fit to a Brompton without folding issues is around 60 teeth, the smallest rear sprocket generally available for the wheels i have fitted is a 11, with racing tyres thats less than 80 gear inches in top and i cannot spin my legs over at a decent speed... the 75t ring solves that, but causes problems all over the place of its own. By building a freewheel that goes to a 9t top sprocket I can then swap out that chainset and its overwidth bottom bracket solving issues of chain retention and folding in one go. Other mods needed are to move the rear brake mounting to get the Delta repositioned to not hit the ground when folded and use a stronger setup on the handlebar swivel.
I assume the combination that you decided on works out well for you. Quite a science behind that.

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

In the interests of balance, here's a pic of my Tern Link Uno just after I purchased it in 2015. After daily commuting service for three years it's looking a little scruffier now, but I don't have a more recent photo. It's been an ultra reliable commuter bike and rides really well View attachment 426848 .
Thank you for adding some diversity. :okay:

Top Bottom