Let's Talk About Brakes ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
BretonM

BretonM

Yes poncing. As in:

and...

and...

and...

You've gone quite the ways to prove your point there !

Yet I don't understand what the problem is, these are simply my opinion and I've asked for others opinions. They've gave them and I don't see you question there's ?

What's the problem ?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
You've gone quite the ways to prove your point there !

Yet I don't understand what the problem is, these are simply my opinion and I've asked for others opinions. They've gave them and I don't see you question there's ?

What's the problem ?
My point actually. The point I, and it seems many others are trying to make is that the shimano brakes have a reputation for reliability and sensible performance at a sensible price. You may get lighter, more powerful or more aesthetically pleasing products from other manufacturers but the typical tale from owners of these products are that they are far more needy of servicing and adjustment than their Shimano counterparts.
If you want your brakes to work at the start of the ride and at the end of the ride, at the start of the tour and at the end of the tour, at the start of the year and at the end of the year, then get the Shi ano ones. Simples!

OP
OP
BretonM

BretonM

My point actually. The point I, and it seems many others are trying to make is that the shimano brakes have a reputation for reliability and sensible performance at a sensible price. You may get lighter, more powerful or more aesthetically pleasing products from other manufacturers but the typical tale from owners of these products are that they are far more needy of servicing and adjustment than their Shimano counterparts.
If you want your brakes to work at the start of the ride and at the end of the ride, at the start of the tour and at the end of the tour, at the start of the year and at the end of the year, then get the Shi ano ones. Simples!

Thanks for your opinion !

That's all I wanted in this forum !

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Hmmm here are some completely useless thoughts from me: my favourite brake I've used is Avid Elixir 1s. But.....

I think I may be the only person in the known MTB world who hasn't had problems* with them (mine must have been made mid week, definitely not on a Friday). They've been fantastic, great modulation and power. But....

Based on everyone's experience I wouldn't get them again; seems like I just purely lucked out.

*OK not 100% accurate. In the winter I bled the brakes -not because I needed to based on feel, but because the fluid in them must have been at least 5 years old. After much fiddling around, I had the brakes perfect, nary an errant air bubble in there..... But then came Spring and I took the bike out to find out within 5 minutes the brakes started to severely bind. I ended up letting some fluid out, and I was fine -my theory is that I bled them so well, then came Spring with warmer weather and the fluid expanded..... Anyway, back to the way they were now, so no problems!

Drago

Legendary Member
... but can't quite get over the beauty, quality and Made in England-ness of them ^_^

Don't confuse a shiny attractive machine finish with "quality".

The former is merely bling, of which Hope brakes have plenty.

The latter is simp!y fitness for purpose, and if decent reliability is on your list then that's not an attribute Hope's possess.

Little point having sexy looking brakes that no one can admire because they're acting up again...

OP
OP
BretonM

BretonM

I see what you mean !

Perhaps a different option would be better !

What would you recommend, my budget is pretty high ?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Guide RS but that's what came on the bike. I'll probably stick with the SRAM if I get another MTB as bleed kits and pads will be compatible.

fossyant

Would someone please recommend Hope so that the OP can hear what he wants and we can forget about this thread?

Don't be daft...:tongue:

OP
OP
BretonM

BretonM

Would someone please recommend Hope so that the OP can hear what he wants and we can forget about this thread?
I've just said that a different option may be preferable !

I like Hope, obviously but after hearing everyone tell me that I'm wrong for wanting the bling and that they can be unreliable, I've changed my mind !

I wanted advice not criticism.

OP
OP
BretonM

BretonM

Guide RS but that's what came on the bike. I'll probably stick with the SRAM if I get another MTB as bleed kits and pads will be compatible.
Yeah I've heard great things about the Guide RS.

How easy is the bleeding process ?

Don't be daft...:tongue:

Thanks. As I say I've changed my mind from the Hopes and simply wanted another opinion not a snarky comment back !

Good advice from you @fossyant as usual !

Drago

Legendary Member
SLX, as aforementioned, are the sweet spot for performance, price, weight and reliability, and are very highly regarded. However, shop about and you may find XT for not much more.

Now, may as well lock the thread ;)

fossyant

From what I believe, the bleed process on the Guides is simple with the bleed kit. You can't go wrong with SLX/XT/GUIDE. Hope's are very nice, but I'd personally stick to black as I'm not a fan of bling colours on parts.

Top Bottom