Let's Talk About Brakes ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
BretonM

BretonM

Hopes come in black. There is hope after all.
^_^

lpretro1

I've just said that a different option may be preferable !

I like Hope, obviously but after hearing everyone tell me that I'm wrong for wanting the bling and that they can be unreliable, I've changed my mind !

I wanted advice not criticism.
Had Hope brakes on two bikes for years and never a glitch

gelfy666

Über Member
I've just had some Hope E4s loved them but the rear has let me down today on their 4th ride, not sure why yet, but I was decending and all of a sudden there was nothing there.
IMG_20170614_165559_680.jpg

lpretro1

How Is modulation and overall stopping power ?

Worth the money ?
Personally I like the fact that you can adjust the bite point to suit how you like the brake to feel and the stopping power for me is good - I do long xc rides most of the time with occasional visits to trail centres if that's any help. They are expensive compared to Shimano but again I personally like the fact that you can get every last little spare from Hope - and they are a british company too :smile:

Jody

Stubborn git
Fitting is really easy but depends if the brake pipes need reducing in length. Some brands are easier to shorten than others. May need to re bleed depending on what you have.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I am not about to trawl through all his old posts but straight away I searched and found THIS which while maybe not dangerous directly does demonstrate a lack of understanding. I have also found THIS howler, again bollix! Both examples may not be directly dangerous (although it could be argued that any wrong brake advice can potentially be a hazard?) but I am sure there have been other cases where I have had to challenge blatantly wrong advice from this poster.
My warning to other forum users is simple. Anyone can claim to be an 'expert' on the internet so don't always accept all advice as gospel.

Motozulu

Über Member
Just ordered Hope E4's myself - can't wait to get them on and try them - I'm using Guide RS atm which are a great brake. The E4's though are a thing of beauty and bleeding (apparently) is the easiest of them all - not that you'll have to do it often - one reason why they are so pricey is their reliability record. Had the Guides 6 months and though they are a lovely brake to use, already had to have the LBS replace the piston in the front lever.
Hope Tech 3 E4's for 250 quid is a no brainer to me.

OP
OP
BretonM

BretonM

Just ordered Hope E4's myself - can't wait to get them on and try them - I'm using Guide RS atm which are a great brake. The E4's though are a thing of beauty and bleeding (apparently) is the easiest of them all - not that you'll have to do it often - one reason why they are so pricey is their reliability record. Had the Guides 6 months and though they are a lovely brake to use, already had to have the LBS replace the piston in the front lever.
Hope Tech 3 E4's for 250 quid is a no brainer to me.

Exactly my reasoning for the purchase !!

Top Bottom