Let's talk about tents.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks for that classic.

But for me makes more sense to spend that money on a better mat.

Got my latest mat, from a big name supplier, for £15 from tkmaxx

As for whether the tent is for protecting you from the weather or keeping you warm, try sitting in your tent with no clothes on when its cold, wet and windy.

You're kind of making my point - the tent keeps the weather off, your gear keeps you warm.
Thanks classic.

You mean this?

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Thermal-Insulation-Foil-Roll-600mm-x-8m/p/210022

Tho you have to buy a fair bit.
So may be better using the dosh for a better mat.
I'm in Holland, so a different brand, but similar type stuff.
I used some leftover from some housework. ? Used some to make some insulation for my trangia pots too, which work a treat.

classic33

Leg End Member
You're kind of making my point - the tent keeps the weather off, your gear keeps you warm.

I'm in Holland, so a different brand, but similar type stuff.
I used some leftover from some housework. ? Used some to make some insulation for my trangia pots too, which work a treat.
You ever made a "Bothy Bag" from a tent outer? Used on group walks to keep you out of the weather whilst you stop.

I don't have anything to add to the condensation topic, but have a comment the pitch inner first / outer first or both discussion. The macpac minaret can be pitched all of the three ways, so offers flexibility. When the test is packed dry, which is often the case, pitch together is a very quick and simple affair.

You ever made a "Bothy Bag" from a tent outer? Used on group walks to keep you out of the weather whilst you stop.
Nope. Never made a bothy bag. But the logic seems clear.

I don't have anything to add to the condensation topic, but have a comment the pitch inner first / outer first or both discussion. The macpac minaret can be pitched all of the three ways, so offers flexibility. When the test is packed dry, which is often the case, pitch together is a very quick and simple affair.

My cheapy Coleman can be pitched with or without inner with no issue at all. According to the instructions it's fly first, but in practise all in one works fine.

My Exped Orion can be pitched in 3 ways - all-in-one, fly first or indeed inner only. However, fly first is very finnicky, and in less than ideal conditions, it's downright frustrating!

I've never been confident enough in the weather to try inner only! ;)

My Lodge 2 is definitely inner only erect first. Then chuck the outer over the top.

I thought it would be a problem but in practice it isn't.

Also, in practice with regard to worries about putting it up in the rain I take reassurance from the surprising but true factoid I was told on taking up commuting by Vespa many years ago - despite the reputation of British weather there are surprisingly few days when it will actually be raining to any great degree during the twin morning and evening windows of hopping on the scooter. Even more so with the 5 minute window of putting the tent up. And not likely to be a mega problem unless rain really torrential, which it rarely is. How often does the gloomy forecast say heavy rain when it's mostly just light rain/drizzle/bit damp?

My Lodge 2 is definitely inner only erect first. Then chuck the outer over the top.

I thought it would be a problem but in practice it isn't.

Also, in practice with regard to worries about putting it up in the rain I take reassurance from the surprising but true factoid I was told on taking up commuting by Vespa many years ago - despite the reputation of British weather there are surprisingly few days when it will actually be raining to any great degree during the twin morning and evening windows of hopping on the scooter. Even more so with the 5 minute window of putting the tent up. And not likely to be a mega problem unless rain really torrential, which it rarely is. How often does the gloomy forecast say heavy rain when it's mostly just light rain/drizzle/bit damp?

Isn't that the thing, though, with tents and with all our gear really - the "fear factor"?

I specifically chose a tent that was not inner first pitching because of the "fear" of the inner getting soaking wet when I was pitching it. For me, being dry is priority number 1 and the image of a soaked inner, puddles on the floor while struggling to get a fly over everything in the dark and the rain and the wind was enough for me to reject that option.
But how often does it happen?
In truth, hardly ever!

Instead, I went for a free-standing tent (for those times when pegging out was impossible), all-in-one pitch (to get it up quickly in bad weather) and a 4 season tent to be comfortable in winter.

As it turns out, the tent is not actually free-standing- it will not stand on it's own. If it is not pegged out the fly sits against the inner.
The all-in-one pitch is really only practical in warm weather. Winter means condensation meaning the whole tent gets wet if taken down all in one. Instead, the reality is separate pitching for fly, then inner. While possible, it is very finnicky!
And the extra lining over the mesh needs to be open in winter to minimise the condensation!

As things turn out, my cheapy tunnel does a far better job!

I spent the guts of a year researching tents to find the one that checked all my boxes. I've spent the last year trying to get the new tent to do the things it's supposed to do! :smile:

Damn the fear! ^_^^_^

It's all well and good to recommend a tent, but the user has to know the conditions the reviewer is using the tent.
Climate, location, time of year, frequency of pitching, personal preferences are vital.
For example, the condensation issue with my tent is only an issue because I pack it up every day and like to camp in the winter.
I chatted online with some other owners before I bought the tent.
After my problems I chatted again.
Their usage differed very much from mine. Pitches for up to a week at a time, never used in winter. No problem to dry it out -warm weather camping. No wild camping.

So, before you buy a tent, figure out how you want to use it and when.
Then find out who does similar. Their recommendations should have more weight.

The Lodge 2 is essentially free standing hobbes. I would tend to put 4 in though. It actually does more than it claims as although it comes with guy lines you don't need them - have sat out a storm fine without them.

I also tend to carry 4 pegs for going into sand.

Agree with you about letting most of the fear go :smile:

jay clock

Massive member
MSR Hubba Hubba NX. Light, roomy, huge for one person, olive green for stealth, freestanding. Outstanding
IMG_8407.jpg

Only issue is price!

Salar

A fish out of water
For a couple of nights why not just get a bivvy bag, light and cheap.

(One problem, you might look as if you've been dumped from the boot of a Mark 2 Jag)

Globalti

Legendary Member
I bought a tent by putting a "wanted" ad in the classifeds on UKClimbing. I received about ten offers of various good quality tents and ended up buying a Wild Country Quasar in unused condition for something ridiculous like £170.

reppans

I do - it's staple gear for me for cold weather activities, esp. XC skiing where stopping = big cool down. My mid tent doubles as a rain cape, so it's effectively a 'body bothy' with hood and is much warmer than equivalent windbreaker jacket and pants due to the 'mitten' effect of all limbs inside. If you have direct sunlight, there's a big solar greenhouse boost, and with my head out, I can run a heated micro climate which is really luxurious (alcohol stove as candle for a Palmer Furnace). Lastly, the fly alone makes for 90%+ flying bug barrier in an interesting play on the bugs' own instincts - with 1min pitch/takedown, it's often worthy for just lunch and long rest breaks.

fatjel

Veteran
I've only done the one cycle camping trip using a eurohike backpacker tunnel type tent
It was a gift and kept me sheltered for the night.

Bad points ..
It is a beggar to get in and out of (for me)
Exiting in the morning my bum dragged thru the wet grass soaking my only pair of trousers
I felt really confined inside the tent (my daughter who gave me it calls it the coffin)

Good points
Very cheap even if I had to pay for it
Easy to put up. All in one so inner wouldn't get wet while I fumbled with the fly sheet
Light to carry on the bike

The bad points were bad enough to make me think of replacing it asap
Eurohike do a 2 man tamar dome tent.. Would that or one similar have more door height and ceiling height
Or would the difference be so small as to be insignificant

I

classic33

Leg End Member
I've only done the one cycle camping trip using a eurohike backpacker tunnel type tent
It was a gift and kept me sheltered for the night.

Bad points ..
It is a beggar to get in and out of (for me)
Exiting in the morning my bum dragged thru the wet grass soaking my only pair of trousers
I felt really confined inside the tent (my daughter who gave me it calls it the coffin)

Good points
Very cheap even if I had to pay for it
Easy to put up. All in one so inner wouldn't get wet while I fumbled with the fly sheet
Light to carry on the bike

The bad points were bad enough to make me think of replacing it asap
Eurohike do a 2 man tamar dome tent.. Would that or one similar have more door height and ceiling height
Or would the difference be so small as to be insignificant

I
Now half price
https://m.blacks.co.uk/product/green-eurohike-tamar-2-man-tent/107840/

Top Bottom