Let's talk about tents.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Eureka Solo Plus 1 man.

Cheap. Sub £100 at the time. Can sit up in it. Light.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Wild country zephyros 2, the weight's fine , room is fine , packing less so.

It probably wouldn't win any best tent ever awards but I've had zero problems.

I've used it quite a bit and it's fine.

classic33

Leg End Member
Two man Ultimate Tadpole, Vango Odyssey Micro 400, Vango Force Ten.

Where would you be camping and in what sort of weather?

The Tadpole, small tunnel tent
Has stayed standing in winds that have brought other tents down.
It's supposed to be able to sleep three, but that'd be pushing it.
Lightweight back in it's day, packs small.
Easy pitch.

Micro 400

Last edited:

DanZac

Vango banshee 200 and a Sil Hex Peak. Both excellent tents. The Hex Peak has sort of replaced the Vango as it's got a bit more room inside and is a tad lighter but is harder to pitch and cost at least twice the price.
In my opinion you can't go far wrong with the banshee for occasional use, it's a good price has plenty of room for 1 and is light enough yet pretty robust for cycle touring and pitches all in one so no wet inner tent.

OP
OP
mickle

mickle

innit
Two man Ultimate Tadpole, Vango Odyssey Micro 400, Vango Force Ten.

Where would you be camping and in what sort of weather?

The Tadpole, small tunnel tent
Has stayed standing in winds that have brought other tents down.
It's supposed to be able to sleep three, but that'd be pushing it.
Lightweight back in it's day, packs small.
Easy pitch.

Micro 400
Scottish waether. In Scotland.

Macpac minaret, it has never let me down and its had lots of use in Scotland. . Was quite light in its day (2.6 Kg) and was bought as a top specification top quality backpacking tent. Its a 2 man tunnel tent that can be erected inner and outer together, they are attached by velcro. If you put it up when they are joined, it is very very quick to do. But it can be separated, which is handy sometimes, for example if you need to collapse a wet tent where the flysheet is wet but the inner is not - if you collapse a wet tent all in one, it all gets wet. A tunnel tent gives you lots of volume, but is not freestanding as is a geodesic - so it always needs to be pegged out. It has a smallish porch but the inner can be pulled back into its self temporarily to give more cooking space. Modern tents of a similar sixe come out a lot lighter now but the groundsheets are very thin and do get any durability you have to buy a footprint. My brother has a force 10 nitro lite with footprint and proper pegs (it was supplied with thin titanium pegs) so I expect my old macpac loses out by about a kilo, or a big water bottle.

Drago

Legendary Member
A Vango 5/6 betpth thing. Well made, well price, and spot on for 3 folk. More appropriate for cycling I have a 2 berth Vango dome tent job, which ticks the boxes for price and weight, not that I use it much any more.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
We still have a Saunders Jetpacker Plus . Two people, about 1.8kg. I lugged it down the GR20 in Corsica a while back. It's pretty bomb-proof and was about the lightest I could find at the time, but it's little more than a weatherproof shelter, all we needed for mountain walking. My only advice would be not to believe any manufacturer's idea of person capacity. They are hopelessly optimistic. Oh, and do yourself a favour....choose the very lightest you can find.

Here's an article that may help.

http://hikingmastery.com/top-pick/best-backpacking-tent.html

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
AroundTheSite-OffTheTracksSpring2013-PB08.jpg

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I'm assuming this is for cycle touring as opposed to shoving in the back of a car?
I have a Coleman Avior X2. Bought it in 2012 because it was on discount at Amazon (£65). I also liked the weight (2.6kg) and the two door design. One at the front and another at the side. It also has a small porch area at the front for storing the panniers etc. High hydrostatic head of 5000 (I think) and small pack size make it ideal.
Why they stopped making it I'll never understand.
So good that I'm buying the 3 person version second hand at the weekend from another forum member.
I think Vango's Banshee is the closest tent to it in design terms.

F70100

Who, me ?
Tent history for UK cycle and motorcycle touring:

Vango Banshee 200; bought because it was/is cheap, 2.3kgs. Easy to manage in dry weather but getting in with wet clothing, I found I didn’t have space to keep everything else dry.

Vango Banshee 300; cheap, 2.9kgs. Solved above issue for me.

Hilleberg Nallo 2GT; 2.9kgs, but with very large porch. Even more space for same mass as Banshee 300. Bought second hand. Sold Banshee 300 on eBay for what I had paid for it.

Hilleberg Akto; 1.6kgs. Bought second hand but unused from an acquaintance. A bit more space than Banshee 200, and stronger. Sold 200 on eBay for a tenner less than I’d paid for it.

Hilleberg’s not cheap but I like having them.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I'm in the market for a tent. I don't know what to look out for and what to avoid. What tent do you own - and why?
My current tent* is a bit on the small side for someone 6'+ ...but it's small pack size and the fact that it's got two doors makes it almost ideal. No more sweltering at 6am on a sunny summer morning, just open both doors a tad and there's a lovely through draft that allows me to lie in for hours. I don't think I'd ever go back to a single door tent again.

*Highlander Glen Orchy, similar to the Vango Banshee... which may well be its replacement.

Last edited:
Top Bottom