Let's talk about tents.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
After seeing Ray Mears using one I got an old parachute for about £30. You need a clearing in woods somewhere so you can throw some cord over a branch. But works great, loads of space, and if you can find some stones a fire in the middle is fine. Not for use if using normal sanitised campsites.

Not for use if using normal sanitised campsites.

That is the case with many of the ultralight tarp tents and hammock tents that work well in the woods.

After seeing Ray Mears using one I got an old parachute for about £30. You need a clearing in woods somewhere so you can throw some cord over a branch. But works great, loads of space, and if you can find some stones a fire in the middle is fine. Not for use if using normal sanitised campsites.
This does unfortunately drag back images from teenage studies of lord of the flies, decaying pilot etc.

Was being modest about lodge 2 up above. I know it is. Have freecamped in it and also sat out storms in it. If you are interested mickle I can pm you a link to a discussion of its many merits in another forum.

Siclo

Veteran
[QUOTE 5240672, member: 10119"]My favourite ever tent that I've used was a Vaude Mk 3*. Small enough for cycle camping, palatial for two people, dead easy to pitch, decent headroom, good access, vestibules for storage. I've had tent-lust about it ever since![/QUOTE]

I have that tent now, in a lifetime of camping with everything from tiny expedition affairs through to frame tents you can park your car in (yes really) it's the most versatile and easily pitched tent I've ever come across.

My latest one is a Coleman Cabral, it's not perfect but it's massive upside is the blackout bedroom, lovely lie-ins and cool and dark enough for afternoon siestas.

classic33

Leg End Member
Coleman Cabral.jpg

Yes i thought so.

One might ask why it was discontinued, though I fear I know.

Have seen some nice vaude tents in my local cotswold.

Anyway, sorted for life with robens lodge 2. Folks please shout if that is going to be canned and I will go grab another.

snorri

Legendary Member
Not the cheapest, but I have had good service from my Terra Nova tents. Their 'Solar' served me well, including some wild weather in Iceland, but after a few years I decided to go for the 'Laserlite' which as the name suggest is very lightweight and so even more suitable for cycle touring but nevertheless well able to stand stormy weather.
Both have a porch area with enough space to get all (4)panniers and bar bag off the bike and undercover at night.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I use a Hilleberg Akto (1 person single transverse pole) or a Hilleberk Allak (2 person dome).

My tent requirements are
a) storm proof
b) easy & quick to put up by me on my own, even if it's in strong winds
c) not dependent on good pegging (i.e. flexibilty of peg placement, so if there's a buried rock where the peg should ideally go, another nearby location will do)
d) sufficient porch space to accomodate all my panniers (the saddlebag stays on the bike), and still allow entry/exit space, or cooking space.
e) enough height to sit up. I have no problem staying reasonably still, and don't really need lots of inner tent space
f) a side door rather than an end door.
g) the ability to close up and keep the weather out and the warm in (i.e. a Euro style tent, with a down to ground outer and not much mesh on the inner).

Previous tents have been...
Saunders Jetpacker (too coffin-like, dependent on good pegging)
Terra Nova Quasar (too big & heavy for bike use, died of PU coating rot on the outer)
A quick-pitch version of the Tadpole (too bulky for bike use, as the quick-pitch feature impacted on the pack size and the ability to easily separate inner/outer/poles)
A Terra Nova Solar (not strong enough - I didn't appreciate the pole hitting my head whilst I was sleeping).

classic33

Leg End Member
I use a Hilleberg Akto (1 person single transverse pole) or a Hilleberk Allak (2 person dome).

My tent requirements are
a) storm proof
b) easy & quick to put up by me on my own, even if it's in strong winds
c) not dependent on good pegging (i.e. flexibilty of peg placement, so if there's a buried rock where the peg should ideally go, another nearby location will do)
d) sufficient porch space to accomodate all my panniers (the saddlebag stays on the bike), and still allow entry/exit space, or cooking space.
e) enough height to sit up. I have no problem staying reasonably still, and don't really need lots of inner tent space
f) a side door rather than an end door.
g) the ability to close up and keep the weather out and the warm in (i.e. a Euro style tent, with a down to ground outer and not much mesh on the inner).

Previous tents have been...
Saunders Jetpacker (too coffin-like, dependent on good pegging)
Terra Nova Quasar (too big & heavy for bike use, died of PU coating rot on the outer)
A quick-pitch version of the Tadpole (too bulky for bike use, as the quick-pitch feature impacted on the pack size and the ability to easily separate inner/outer/poles)

A Terra Nova Solar (not strong enough - I didn't appreciate the pole hitting my head whilst I was sleeping).
Which manufacturer?

Top Bottom