Let's talk fishing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carpiste

Guru
Do you go for pike too?? Ive been told its also good to have all different sizes of lures too and to keep switching them out if youre not having much luck.
It isn`t so much size that is important but you want lures that go down to different depths to tempt a bite. Also different colours and the odd rattler can make a difference. It all depends on the conditions really.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
So im finally getting around to dropping the cash and building my setup. Absolutely eager as hell that im going to be able to fish the same river that i started me on the journey when i was 10 or 11 years old, only the find out that the club im going to have to subscribe to fish the stretch of the river has seasons when it comes to spinning and im basically sitting on my hands till October the 1st.

Im heart broken.... Im all dressed up in my Sunday best and i've got nowhere to go :cry::cry:

My kit is not quite complete yet. Ive got almost everything apart from the rod n'reel, braid and terminal tackle. A lot of the bits & peices I want/need are out of stock so its just as well i cant get out there till October.

The River on the other hand is a bit of a headache. On one side (the best stretch of river) is owned by a club but the lock where i'll be accessing the river from is where the club's ownership ends on one side then becomes under the ownership of the C&RT (Canal & River Trust) on the other, but the C&RT side doesnt look as good and if i want to fish there i'll still need a 'permit'. The club doesnt allow non-members to use spinning for fish. So either way im forking out money to fish which ever direction i go... the C&RT permit is the Waterway Wanderer's Scheme.

Im just going to walk past my kit sitting there every day and get even more frustrated that i cant go :laugh::laugh:

carpiste

Guru
I`ve never been able to limit myself with venue/species. I`ve fished all over the World, caught huge fish 200lb+ but I`m equally happy with a few roach and perch from the canal or pool. I`ve recently been fishing an F1 commercial fishery and loved every minute even though the best fish (sorry biggest) has been Carp of around 5lb.

delb0y

Legendary Member
I had a great morning at the local canal at the weekend - feeder fishing for bream and a float rod with some maggots that caught loads of perch and a few roach. Great fun. Was tempted to go back with the lure rod for another crack at the perch, but my next outing will probably be to a local lake or a local small river for some more float fishing. The pleasure for me is getting away from it all early enough that I have a few hours of peace and quiet with just me and the outdoors and no-one about.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
When I was on hols a few weeks ago, I took a small amount of tackle with me as I'd said to my grandson (6) that I'd introduce him to the art.
I walked around the lake on the site where we were staying and found a good spot.
I could see carp broaching the surface, and some more in the reed margins.
On the last morning, we walked there, him in great excitement & anticipation!
We threw some sweetcorn in as we got ready to fish.
The water was boiling with carp, all somewhere between 5lb & 10lb I reckon.
Then a chap came up and said fishing was not allowed until Defra had checked and inspected the waters due to bacterial infection in the fish!! 😔

We just stood there and fed the remaining corn to the shoal..
Sad that there was a problem, but more than that, that my grandson's 1st fishing expedition didn't happen..

I think we'll have to do the local canal, soon.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I`ve never been able to limit myself with venue/species. I`ve fished all over the World, caught huge fish 200lb+ but I`m equally happy with a few roach and perch from the canal or pool. I`ve recently been fishing an F1 commercial fishery and loved every minute even though the best fish (sorry biggest) has been Carp of around 5lb.

I'll eventually be looking to fish other places. As for limiting myself to one species. It's not as bad if every time you're going to be landing an absolute chonker of a fish. I've done the whole silver fish game and that hasn't appealed to me since I was probably 15 or 16.

I could probably go back to carp fishing too but right now its pike/Zander

Colin_P

Guru
Changing the subject a little bit...

Do any of you get to your fishing places by bike? I used to in the 80's and on a 10 speed racer with the seat box on the Pletcher rack and rod bag over my shoulder resting horizontally. I didn't really worry about nets and stuff like that back then.

Some 35 years later, I now cannot drive (medically banned) and was wondering how any of you manage it, if at all?

I'm thinking that the most obvious solution would be a cycle trailer. The problem I foresee with that is the transportation of the rod bag (I don't fancy doing it 80's style now!).

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Many thanks.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~

Do any of you get to your fishing places by bike? I used to in the 80's and on a 10 speed racer with the seat box on the Pletcher rack and rod bag over my shoulder resting horizontally. I didn't really worry about nets and stuff like that back then.

Some 35 years later, I now cannot drive (medically banned) and was wondering how any of you manage it, if at all?

I'm thinking that the most obvious solution would be a cycle trailer. The problem I foresee with that is the transportation of the rod bag (I don't fancy doing it 80's style now!).

Many thanks.

When i first got back into cycling many years ago - this was my original idea. Id use the bike to travel up and down the river but it honestly seems like too much faff and another extra 7-12kgs of stuff to carry around that doesnt need to be. Never mind that towpaths are quite narrow and you'll have to stop thievin'bast*rds from stealing your bike while you fish (At least where im from muggings on towpaths are an actual thing)

a more convenient option which ive seen some people do is get an electric scooter. you can fold them up and carry them with you or fold them up and dump them in a bush somewhere when you start fishing as they are low profile and inconspicuous enough not really to be noticed compared to having a bicycle laid out behind you.

-- It doesnt make much sense to me as im going to be roaming 99% of the time but if you just need it to get from point A-B where you'll be for for the entire trip then i dont see why you cant do that on a bicycle or electric scooter

Some electric scooters come with chunkier tyres so they will handle light off-roading but the only downside with electric scooters is they can be pricey so its up to you if you think its worth the investment.

I'll probably consider the scooter option too at some stage -- at least when they get cheaper.

Last edited:

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable

Many thanks.
With a trailer, you would have to take into accounts the kissing gates / chicanes / other barriers that are often found on a canal towpath. Would you be able to lift the laden trailer if you needed to? Would you need to unhitch the trailer? Etc., etc.

carpiste

Guru

Many thanks.
I remember well going to the Bridgewater canal in the 70`s to catch a few Roach and Perch. When I got the chance to buy decent kit I went to Sale Marina to catch a few Carp. Great days but fishing with the bike in tow, or is that cycling with the fishing gear in tow wouldn`t suit me now.
That said I could still imagine the odd day float fishing with a single rod, reel and a canvas seat bag. Easily carried on the crossbar/back.
However, the most obvious thing to me is to join a local fishing club. You`ll be amazed how many people will help with transportation and you can always tag along to matches/ organised trips.
Either way, tight lines my friend and enjow whatever fishing you can 🎣^_^

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Happy birthday to me!

IMG_20210904_124254.jpg

IMG_20210904_124730.jpg

These should hold me good for a few years. All of these are pretty much Chinese made amazon specials. So you pay £15-20 for 3 rather than £20 for 1 compared to the mainstream tried and tested brands. All these were purchased based on feedback.

Ive got some other kit that arrived thats not in the picture but its just a rucksack, folding landing net and a unhooking mat

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member

Many thanks.

As a kid I always biked to go fishing. Box went on a rack with the landing net on top, all held on with bungees. Rod bag went over my shoulder

Top Bottom