Let's talk fishing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Looking forward to going again, but who knows when...

The islands I fish on will really be hurting as a result of this mullarky, coming on the back of hurricane(s), it'll be bad times indeed.

OP
OP
Salar

Salar

A fish out of water
5 mile lockdown restrictions in Wales being lifted from Monday which means I can venture further.

Downside is all my gear is in storage as I'm moving house on Monday.

Upside, one of my clubs rivers is opposite our new house and a 2 minute drive ( 5 minute cycle if I'm travelling light) to the car park.

OP
OP
Salar

Salar

A fish out of water
I do beach and lure fishing, not been out this year yet. The reports from my area (south coast) is lots of weed about :sad:

Yes, seen your pretty sorry handsome face on WSFF ^_^ I dropped out of that forum a few years ago, are you still a member.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Salar

Salar

A fish out of water
I pulled out when the plonkers started posting rubbish and wanted to fight each other in our local area sub forum. :laugh:

Has it calmed down over there now.

woodbutcher

Veteran
As an aside to my post about the Nelly and Leslie "smack" . At about the same time (60years approx. ago) l lived just outside Boston Lincs. and my mates and l spent almost all of our time out on the marshes and mudflats around the Wash.
One form of "fishing" we used to pursue was what we called "Butt stanging" . This required you to wade through the water at low tide with an implement like a rake except the "tines" pointed forward not at 90degess to the handle. You had to go barefoot so that you could feel the flatfish , Butts as we called them. The fish would lift off from the mud shoot forward a bit then settle down again , giving you the chance to stab it with your "Butt stang" . For reasons best known to ourselves we usually carried out this ritual in the early and late part of the year , just before the duck shooting season . Boy was it cold.
l would be interested if anyone else has heard of or even tried this method of "fishing" !

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I pulled out when the plonkers started posting rubbish and wanted to fight each other in our local area sub forum. :laugh:

Has it calmed down over there now.
I find it OK, but with every forum it only take one.......like on here there's a few that hate my guts

woodbutcher

Veteran
@woodbutcher You wouldn't get away with that method these days!!

A garden fork or hay fork also used to be the implement in times gone by.
The best time to start fishing for them is mid spring onwards.
That was the problem , mid spring on the east coast fens was a very chilly time. I heard tell that the whole of the marshes and fens are a conservation area now ....probably for the best !

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I used to do a lot of course fishing in the Midlands a long time ago especially at Kingsbury Water Park and Packington estate. Caught a lot of Rudd, roach, tench, carp and crucian carp.

Nowadays we have our own pond that Mr WD has a dabble at. Tench, Rudd, roach crucian. I have not done any fishing for a long time.

5 mile lockdown restrictions in Wales being lifted from Monday which means I can venture further.

Downside is all my gear is in storage as I'm moving house on Monday.

Upside, one of my clubs rivers is opposite our new house and a 2 minute drive ( 5 minute cycle if I'm travelling light) to the car park.
Got my eye on the river Clywedog near Wrexham not sure which stretches are public though? Best sort a licence and give it a whirl :okay:

OP
OP
Salar

Salar

A fish out of water
I don't do much coarse fishing, not really my thing. Where I live its wild trout, sewin and salmon.

There is however a carp lake not far from me which allows fly fishing for carp. Chucking big baits and swim feeders doesn't do it for me.

So I make it more difficult for myself and fly fish on the surface for carp. Here's a typical example, not massive, probably 10lb or so, but good fun on a fly rod.

pawl

Legendary Member
Some years ago I used to course fish regularly. Float and occasionally ledger.Decided I might give it another go.soon changed my mind .Fishing seems to have become quite technical with various rigs.To complicated for me.

Top Bottom