Lezyne 450xl light any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CharlesF

Guru
I'm a big fan of cree lights, so when a colleague showed me the sale price of these , I jumped at the chance to try them.
It's just arrived and I'm pretty pleased with a sale price of £44.
It's a 1/3 smaller in size to the usual Chinese import, and has a bright Halo function. This can be on steady or flashing, with the main beam also on constant or flashing.
https://www.chilli-tech.com/bike-lights/Cree-LED-Front-Bike-Light

watch the video to learn more

This is why I hate threads about lights. They never fail to convince me that my perfectly good lights, aren't that good and should be replaced.

Duffy

Über Member
I've got a Lenser b7 that I swap from bike to bike, it's got a low and high toggle and lasts pretty well (it also goes to low when the batteries are running gown)
The only down side is that the cheaper aftermarkets mounts are marginal on a bumpy surface

Duffy

Über Member
Slightly OT!

Anybody got a recommendation for a decent rear light to match the performance of the fronts listed here?

I've got a fear of being taken from behind on a dark night!

;)

Last edited:

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Slightly OT!

Anybody got a recommendation for a decent rear light to match the performance of the fronts listed here?

I've got a fear of being taken from behind in a dark night!

;)

Anything from the Cateye Rapid series. I have a Rapid Mini and a Rapid X3 -- though both have soared in price by a fair margin since i made my purchase a while ago :sad:

Alternatively -- I also have one of these which seems to be a cheaper cateye Rapid X1 knock off. Nowhere near the rated lumens specified but still quite bright. probably as bright as my rapid mini which i think is around 25lum -- price has gone up by almost £1 since i bought mine. Still great for the money!! the output is probably between 30-50lum

Alternate alternative, (of the alternative variant) I do have a Topeak redlite mega thats absolutely BNIB thats been collecting dust on my shelf for a while now that you can have for a small fee if you have enough space on your seat post for one. I ordered two by accident a while ago and just decided to keep the other as spare.

If neither of these suit your needs.... theres always the Smart Luna R1 from planet X. I have two of these from when they were selling them without the mounting bracket for about £2 or £3 each. I bought them hoping they would be the older R1 version that had a pulsing mode for night/club rides but they dont.

::EDIT::

PlanetX currently have 20% off on clothing, lights & eyewear. use code PRAUTUMN1720. Brings the price of the R1 to £8 but you still need to pay P&P.

PlanetX wont ship for free unless you spend around £100 which is just absolute bullsh*ttery at its finest.

Last edited:

Duffy

Über Member
Anything from the Cateye Rapid series. I have a Rapid Mini and a Rapid X3 -- though both have soared in price by a fair margin since i made my purchase a while ago :sad:

Alternatively -- I also have one of these which seems to be a cheaper cateye Rapid X1 knock off. Nowhere near the rated lumens specified but still quite bright. probably as bright as my rapid mini which i think is around 25lum -- price has gone up by almost £1 since i bought mine. Still great for the money!! the output is probably between 30-50lum

Alternate alternative, (of the alternative variant) I do have a Topeak redlite mega thats absolutely BNIB thats been collecting dust on my shelf for a while now that you can have for a small fee if you have enough space on your seat post for one. I ordered two by accident a while ago and just decided to keep the other as spare.

If neither of these suit your needs.... theres always the Smart Luna R1 from planet X. I have two of these from when they were selling them without the mounting bracket for about £2 or £3 each. I bought them hoping they would be the older R1 version that had a pulsing mode for night/club rides but they dont.

::EDIT::

PlanetX currently have 20% off on clothing, lights & eyewear. use code PRAUTUMN1720. Brings the price of the R1 to £8 but you still need to pay P&P.

PlanetX wont ship for free unless you spend around £100 which is just absolute bullsh*ttery at its finest.

I like an alternative!!

The Toplite looks like it's worth trying out.

If you'd like to let me know what you want and how I can pay you (PPG?) I'm keen to find it space on my lengthy seat post :smile:

I'm just using a pair of rear toad lights, which are fine if it's very dark and there's lots of contrast, but complete pants around town!!

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Talking of lumens I noticed Halfords own brand state the term " lux" on there lights as opposed to "Lumens" on other brands. At a quick glance I thought they must of meant the same thing but after a bit of googling there,s no relation between the two words. From what I understand Lux is the concentrated brightness of the beam pattern on the road.If the lens has been designed to project a small spot light light pattern it will no doubt be a brighter light but only over a small area. This is what you would call lux. Lumens on the other hand is how much the light will throw out ,and is a much better guide into rating how powerful it is. Some lights like the Wilkos led light state the wattage. This light states its a 3 watt light , but its completely irrelevant ,in this as a guide to judge how good it is. 3 watts only means how much power it will draw from the battery. An old style tungsten light bulb that stated it was 100 watts was a seriously bright bulb, but nowadays modern bulbs can produce the same light out put at a fraction of the wattage. So inside essence take the stated wattage as a pinch of salt as to how powerful a light may be.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Slightly OT!

I've got a fear of being taken from behind on a dark night!

;)
The Moon Nebula rear lights are extremely bright if that's what you're looking for buddy. Its more like a cars rear fog light when on overdrive. Aldi sold them last year under the brand "Bike Mate" last Autumn £12 as opposed to the £30 branded moon lights. A friend of mine has just bought 2 sets of Aldi Bike Mate premium lights. They come in a pair and I really impressed by how good they were. He's fitted both sets on his bike and where very noticeable along the dark roads this week. I thinks they've now been reduced to around£7 to 8 if you're interested. :-)

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Talking of lumens I noticed Halfords own brand state the term " lux" on there lights as opposed to "Lumens" on other brands. At a quick glance I thought they must of meant the same thing but after a bit of googling there,s no relation between the two words. From what I understand Lux is the concentrated brightness of the beam pattern on the road.If the lens has been designed to project a small spot light light pattern it will no doubt be a brighter light but only over a small area. This is what you would call lux. Lumens on the other hand is how much the light will throw out ,and is a much better guide into rating how powerful it is. Some lights like the Wilkos led light state the wattage. This light states its a 3 watt light , but its completely irrelevant ,in this as a guide to judge how good it is. 3 watts only means how much power it will draw from the battery. An old style tungsten light bulb that stated it was 100 watts was a seriously bright bulb, but nowadays modern bulbs can produce the same light out put at a fraction of the wattage. So inside essence take the stated wattage as a pinch of salt as to how powerful a light may be.

on a side note -- Its a great time to pick up the MJ-858 from planet X - 20% discount brings it to £48.74 inc p&p. Since its a preorder as they dont have any stock. Its will be a gamble to see if they will give you the 'old version' that comes with the 2 cell battery pack or the 'new' 2015 version that comes with the 4 cell battery pack. the two cell pack will give you roughly around 1hr30m to 2hrs on the lowest setting. Ive never run mine until they were completely dry before recharging so i cant exactly give you correct figures.

broady

Veteran
I have the Lezyne 450 and used it for my back up light on club runs and on the commuter.
It depends how fast you go to how bright you need.
For my commuting it is fine on unlit roads on full as I'm only going slow and I know the route well.
On club rides I need something quite a bit brighter and more so if it's unfamiliar roads

Top Bottom