LH drive?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Just received an email from Halfords - is this a first?
untitled.png

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
The designer obviously hit the Flip Horizontal button in photoshop!

Why are the mechs always on the right anyways!

AndyRM

XOXO
What @Rooster1 said.

One of our stock images features a flipped bike image. Fortunately it's nowhere near as obvious, though it still drives me and my manager (also a cyclist) mental. Annoyingly, the flipped version seems to fit most layouts better.

I think that the drive-train is always on the right because it would un-thread as you pedalled on the left? Though I've seen a BMX knocking about here with a left side set up. Hopefully someone has a more detailed explanation as I've often wondered the same.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

Given that the majority of cycling in the world is actually performed on the 'wrong' side of the road anyway, that's an interesting question. :scratch:

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

I was thinking it's more to do with the rider being right handed (as most poeple are) and not the side of the road one rides/drives.
I don't know - do cyclists mount from the road side in those countries that drive on the right? rather than the 'pavement' side? I can only assume it dates from the early days of bicycle development - in the UK - where it would have made sense to keep the 'complicated' bits of the drive train away from the nearside.

Having hired a bike in Italy recently (a very nice Cannondale CAAD something or other) I can reveal that bikes on the mainland of Europe have their brakes wired the other way round. This means the front brake is on the left. I only noticed this when coming down a substantial hill that required both brakes. Up till then I had only used the back one. I normally only use the front.

Having hired a bike in Italy recently (a very nice Cannondale CAAD something or other) I can reveal that bikes on the mainland of Europe have their brakes wired the other way round. This means the front brake is on the left. I only noticed this when coming down a substantial hill that required both brakes. Up till then I had only used the back one. I normally only use the front.
That caught me out the first time I hired a bike on Mallorca. Nearly went over the handlebars

Top Bottom