Life before allen keys

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Think most long time cyclists have one of those flat spanners squirreled away somewhere

I've got one and a dumbell in the toolbox. Every now and then I'll be fishing for a spanner and pull one or the other out, sometimes I might even use 'em.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Cycle specific tools used to look like they were from an entry level Meccano set. They were feckin' useless, thank God for Allen key fittings.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I have recently purchased an old British built lathe. Joy of joys there are two old bottom bracket style lock rings either side of the headstock to adjust the bronze bearings.
I was able to use a spanner similar to the bottom one in the OP's photo to slacken off the rings, adjust and tighten in turn.

Just goes to show, don't throw stuff away. "It'll come in handy one day!"

Gunk

Guru
I have recently purchased an old British built lathe. Joy of joys there are two old bottom bracket style lock rings either side of the headstock to adjust the bronze bearings.
I was able to use a spanner similar to the bottom one in the OP's photo to slacken off the rings, adjust and tighten in turn.

Just goes to show, don't throw stuff away. "It'll come in handy one day!"

Very true, I’ve got loads of odd obscure spanner’s and tools that I’ve found in charity shops, I can’t resist buying them and it’s amazing how often I end up finding a use for them.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
You were also disadvantaged by the fact that by the time the PS2 came out there were 729 different standards for BBs each requiring their own tools. Back in the day there was one standard, with some different threads.
Not to mention that the materials and hardening were far superior to the cheap tat nowadays, a bottom bracket was for life not just a season. :becool:

D

Deleted member 1258

Not in my memory. Cups, axles and bearings were replaced just as often as they are now.

In the days of 5 speed blocks, when 6 speed was new tech, I used to get through a block and chain a year on both the bikes I was using, somewhere between 12 and 15 months the chain would start jumping when I leaned into my stroke.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Not in my memory. Cups, axles and bearings were replaced just as often as they are now.
Maybe if you'd taken them apart and re-greased em they'd have lasted better, I've replaced the caged bearings a few times on my fleet but the shaft and cups on my Carlton (new 105 fitted in 87) and my Ridgeback (fitted over 20yrs ago) are both in fine fettle despite being ridden daily in all weathers.

The Carlton Clubman was my only bike for 20yrs and only got rebuilt after a lorry ran it over wrecking the entire front end, bending the crank, separating the 'wrapover' rear stay at the seatcluster and breaking the nose off the Brooks B5n. It remained my only bike for another 10yrs.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Maybe if you'd taken them apart and re-greased em they'd have lasted better, I've replaced the caged bearings a few times on my fleet but the shaft and cups on my Carlton (new 105 fitted in 87) and my Ridgeback (fitted over 20yrs ago) are both in fine fettle despite being ridden daily in all weathers.

The Carlton Clubman was my only bike for 20yrs and only got rebuilt after a lorry ran it over wrecking the entire front end, bending the crank, separating the 'wrapover' rear stay at the seatcluster and breaking the nose off the Brooks B5n. It remained my only bike for another 10yrs.
Adjusting, taking apart and re-greasing of bottom brackets was a regular chore back in the day. When cartridge sets came out they were not only maintenance free but lasted a longer in my experience, provided you bought one of a decent quality and not some bit of junk as specked on budget bikes,

OP
OP
Slioch

Slioch

Guru
Adjusting, taking apart and re-greasing of bottom brackets was a regular chore back in the day. When cartridge sets came out they were not only maintenance free but lasted a longer in my experience, provided you bought one of a decent quality and not some bit of junk as specked on budget bikes,

Taking apart and regreasing bottom brackets was a 6 monthly job for me. The advent of cartridge BB's was a major step forward.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Taking apart and regreasing bottom brackets was a 6 monthly job for me. The advent of cartridge BB's was a major step forward.
I'd do it once a year, normally around Easter but I'm talking about a full strip and rebuild with new cable inners, bearings and a chain at least,

Last year I did the Ridgeback,

fitting these bits

I'm pretty sure my dad introduced me to such tools before I actually had my own two-wheeler. By the time I did - aged 8 - I was familiar with cone spanners and could rebuild a bottom bracket. Thanks dad xx

I tried to teach my own son such skills but the Playstation2 won :sad:

You were also disadvantaged by the fact that by the time the PS2 came out there were 729 different standards for BBs each requiring their own tools. Back in the day there was one standard, with some different threads.

He's a 25-year-old structural engineer now ;)

A happy ending - hoorah :smile:

(but cone-spanners at 8yo? :O what age did you learn Japanese? The trumpet? Morse code? ... )

• Laugh
Reactions: C R
Top Bottom