Life before allen keys

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My first car was a Hillman Imp. In about 2 years of owning it, I had the engine out twice and the cylinder head off three times.

Happy days!
at least it was you had the engine out.
At the back wasn't it?
Used to know someone wh had one - she really liked it but had a padlock on the rear engine cover - she said its engine bits were so sought after that folk were inclined to steal them of a dark night.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
at least it was you had the engine out.
At the back wasn't it?
Used to know someone wh had one - she really liked it but had a padlock on the rear engine cover - she said its engine bits were so sought after that folk were inclined to steal them of a dark night.
Another engine prone to overheat and knacker the heads. :ohmy:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I was hunting through my box of stuff and found these. Goodness knows when I last used them, but I'll keep them, "just in case".........

View attachment 508664

I can still remember (with a shudder) the weight of the toolkit I carried when I first started touring. It was of the "kitchen sink" variety.
I have lots of things like that. Mostly useless but I cannot bring myself to bin them.

Cheap dumbell spanners are cast from zinc. I have a bronze one that probably still has scrap value more than it cost new.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
But it had a fancy roller bearing crank, IIRC. And aluminium engine bits?
Coventry Climax design I think, it went well in Sidecar Racing,

kgb-imp-1000cc-1986-cr1.jpg

EDIT - BTW if you click on the pic it is a link to an article/test of the Outfit. :becool:

Last edited:
I used to use one of those pressurised "Coleman" petrol stoves for camping. You'd light it, then pump like mad for a minute to get it going properly.

I've had some spectacular flare-ups with that, but fortunately avoided burning any tents down, although a fleece jacket turned a bit crispy once.
Still not sure of what shuddering mickle's concern is. Pretty confident about the safety of my ride coffee making gear - use one of those tall super cheap (not much over a pound) cartridges and a cheap chinese attachment/stand to keep it the right way up. Couple of double espressos and a bunch of lidl wine gums have got me through a few long ride troughs.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Nice story, thanks for sharing. That red leather suit tells a big story. I haven't thought about sidecar racing in years. Is that still going? Surely not?
Yep although they're not in the MotoGP paddock any longer there is still a world championship as well as national ones and the classic and vintage scene is as active as ever. The local circuit 'Mallory Park' even has sidecar festivals, I'd post a vid if Youtube hadn't gone all silly and google on us. A bloke I knew used to race a TZ 700 engined one back in the 80s in the British championship and used to borrow a 500 motor when he got a 'wildcard' entry to the British GP for a couple of years.

Top Bottom