Light, Breathable Helmet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Mod note: Please do not turn this thread into a "helmet debate". The OP has asked for helmet recommendations, please reply in that regard. Anyone wanting to debate whether helmets are useful or effective should do so in the dedicated CycleChat Helmet Debate Thread. Thanks. ^_^

jay clock

Massive member
Weird shaped heads are another reason to try before buying

As with shoes, different companies have different shapes. Giro helmets I find tight on the sides, but Specialxed are OK. I could never get on with MET as they were tight on the forehead

Fit and comfort are the most imprtant factors. Firstly because if it is not comfortable then you will not wear in and secondly a poorly fitted helmet can increase injury
Bizarre. I have several Giro because my wide and round head welcomes NOT being tight on the sides. But +1 for try them for size

AnthonyC

Regular
Indeed. For example, the Giro Savant is very light and offers good ventilation.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Bizarre. I have several Giro because my wide and round head welcomes NOT being tight on the sides. But +1 for try them for size
+1 & specialized are like instruments of torture on my temples particularly.

My current lid is a Decathlon one, (~£25) light airy and comfy, also takes a set of lights well on front and back which is the major plus point for my personal requirements in a hat.

Not going into the helmet debate, just a caution

There is an argument that lights on / in a helmet will compromise the function of the helmet

The helmet manufacturers argue against it, as it changes an impact spread over an area into a point - the helmet is not designed for this

The light (and camera) manufacturers argue that the fittings wil "break away" during an impact and therefore there is no compromise

Up to you - read up on it and decide

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Thank you for assuming a level of impulsive idiocy but no need, many of us have the capacity to make an informed decision without nanny.

Perfectly happy with my choice and why I've made it. Ta.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Ditto.

I find giro to be a wide fit helmet.

Also for a wide fit I'd look at RH+
https://www.zerorh.com/en/zy-carbon-fiber_unisex_blackwhite_EHX6061-02-XS-to-M.html

And kask

Looking for my first helmet, main preference is for is to be light and breathable, don't like a sweaty head and cannot tolerate anything heavy on my head. Will be going into to some shops to get the sizing correct, 59cm so borderline M/L on many models, today/tomorrow.

My initial impressions, like the look of the white variants of the Giro Foray, but feedback from you guys relating to the above would really help. Recommedations welcome. Also, is MIPS beneficial and/or necessary?

Thanks

See above, as a rule...lightweight means cost...vents means more costs...for the perfect mix of both expect to pay upwards of £130.00.

Top Bottom