Light hybrid / flat bar road bike. Budget £500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Harv

4 8 15 16 23 42
As per the title.

Due to an accident my partner is moving from a road bike to a hybrid/flat bar road bike.

Shes likes the lightness of the road bike. The hybrids we’ve tried are a lot heavier.

She doesn’t mind a men’s bike. She’s 5” 2 - 5” 3 so the bike needs to come in a small enough size.

Any recommendations for a good light hybrid or flat bar road bike appreciated.

Budget is £500.

The triban 520 flat bar (xs, s, ...)
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-520-flat-bar-road-bike-sora-id_8322799.html
comes in a bit under budget as well.

vickster

Legendary Member
Whyte R7 range? Something from Merida? Pinnacle?

Second hand acceptable?

I’d think most men’s frames would be on the large size for a petite woman even in smallest guise

Most hybrid bikes use 700c wheels and are bigger and heavier than required for small riders.
You could use a lightweight MTB on 26" wheels as a starting point, or put a flatbar on a 650c road bike.
These days, 650c is being used for children's road bikes rather than for women.

vickster

Legendary Member
I

Prefer new.
Bikes seem to have got more costly, in days gone by a £500 women's fast flatbar had a decent groupset and carbon fork, doesn't seem to be so nowadays. I'd suggest her to go to a few shops to try some out

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I'm sure Decathlon would be amenable to getting a small size in for you to try. Its quite light at 9.7kg and quick on 28c tyres. Plus its a great price and you get a lifetime frame warranty and two years on the carbon fork and ancillaries. Triple for a good range of gears.
I don't think you'll do better for value.

Velochris

Über Member
Depending on where you are Chainreaction are selling off Vitus Mach hybrids. Various prices around your budget and come with hydraulic discs.

10% off if you are a British Cycling member.

Top Bottom