Light recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
One of the cheapest rear lights is the Smart Half Watt Superflash - got my last one for about £8. Rated better than some more expensive than that.... Blackburn Mars 4 also gets good reviews I think but I haven't got it.

Norm

+1 on the Smart 1/2 Watt for the rear. I've done about 30 hours with mine and I'm still on the first set of batteries.

Front lights, though, are a little more difficult. What sort of roads are you on? If you need the lights to see with, then a decent light at a decent price starts at the Hope 1s at around £80.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Front lights fall into two categories ime, those to see by and those to be seen by

if you ride on dark/unlit roads you may need lights from both 'camps', otoh if in brightly lit towns then only the latter are essential.

GrasB

Veteran
I'd also say to be safe you want at least 2 lights from & rear. The Smart 1/2w does look rather good (without owning one that is) but I would also want a second light that was long, this helps approaching traffic to estimate the closing speed (& distance to a lesser extent). So say a Smart 1/2w + a Cateye LD610.

For front lights, I'm not really up with the current lights to be seen by & what I have been looking at recently is probably well out of your price range (£150-£250)

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
If you can get one get a smart 1/2 watt. Had that and a cateye el1000 and a smart 1/2 watt and mars 4 (clip broke) and it's the best value by far. I'd recommend the 1/2 over the 4 anyway, the 1/2 has better all round visibility. Alternatively the smart 7 LEDs are doing the rounds at the moment, I got mine for £4 and it's basically the smart 1/2 watt on a diet.

Big John

Guru
The light on the back nowadays is usually a bright, flashing mode, LED. May not be absolutely legal but that's what people use and the aim is to be seen as far as back lights are concerned.

Front light - as suggested above. You either want the light to actually see with or, if the road lighting is OK, then to be seen with. I use a Tesco 1W cree LED torch with a couple of plumbing plastic brackets to hold the light on the bars. The light is awesome, allows you to see AND be seen and is cheap as chips - under a tenner. Runs on a couple of AA batteries or rechargeables if you've got them.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Flashing lights are legal and have been so since 21st October 2005...

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
mrs fry, all the posters above give excellent advice, but I'll lob in my two cents anyway.

I ride a bit in heavy urban traffic, and also on towpaths and through parks, so I have a quite bright front light for the non-road stuff, and a really bright rear light so that I can be seen from the rear on the road. As people have said, it is a good idea to have a back-up light front and rear, in case you lose a light, for what ever reason...(eg, dud battery, or light falls off)..

Here is the stuff I use. I'm not saying it is optimal, but it is about the minimum I would be happy with.

Rear light. Cateye TL-LD 1100...£24
Front light. Hope Vision 1....£72
Back-up lights are some £15 light package from Argos, not great, but better than nothing.

I suggest you stick to one battery size, to keep things simple. I use AA rechargeable Eneloops, £20 for 12 batteries. They should be good for 1000 cycles, but the manufacturers are usually a bit optimistic.

The charger is a Technoline BL-700, about £28 from BatteryLogic.

Yes, that all adds up to a horrendous amount of money, but I just want to stay alive, and being unseen in traffic is very bad news indeed.

Ride safely.

Edit: You can probably use a much less expensive front light than the Hope Vision 1.

bauldbairn

Another here who would recommend the Smart 1/2 Watt 3 LED rear light(one of the few certified...meets legal regs). I have two fitted - one I have on steady and the other on flash(the reason most of us run two or three is incase one fails you still have one/two on). This maybe doesn't sound bright - but it is a very intense light with two modes flashing and steady. This can be bought for £10 / £12(do a Google search before you decide) from ChainReaction / Wiggle / Ribble / Evans etc,etc.

As others have mentioned front lights come in two categories - see / be seen. See, to light up the road in front - on dark unlit country roads - and tend to be very expensive. Be seen, light you up - so other road users can see you - and with modern LED's is the cheaper alternative. Personally I don't ride many unlit roads, therefor have three "be seen" LED lights and ride with two on steady and one on flash(day and night).
I have two Smart 1/2 Watt LED(BSpoke) front lights - currently unavailable but similar to 3/5 LED Smart Polaris for £5 / £10, and an EBC five LED flasher available for £5 / £10.

It's all down to budget Mrs Fry - I'd recommend having a look at the light reviews on Chain Reaction Cycles. This will give you an idea of what's out there, the prices etc - and you can see what other purchasers thought. Then once you decide - come back on here and we'll tell you what we think. You don't have to buy from CRC(although I do) but they have a comprehensive range from cheapest to dearest, from best to worst.

Good luck - let us know how you get on. :laugh:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
RSP Astrum - £15 Merlin, by far the best 'cheaper' rear (i.e. not exposure leagues) light. Mars 4.0 next because of power and waterproofness, then the Smart 1/2 watt. MArs 3.0 also good, although not as bright as the other 3.

Front.....ohh read above...

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I have a set of 3-LED cateye's. They cost £20 for the set including batteries. They are bright enough in my opinion if they are just for being seen on city streets (my pale legs go a long way in being visible at night :biggrin: - joke btw!), but if you need lights to see the road ahead, the front light just wont cut it.

scouserinlondon

I was guilty of false economy twice. Firstly on my cateye opticube which I bought with my bike (first bike for a decade) and then with two DX $11 torches. The Cateye is feeble, the DX torches are unreliable.

Even though I ride in London, I do a chunk of my commute across parks AND I want to shine like a Christmas tree on the roads. So I've got a Hope 1 & the cateye opticube on the front of the bike. A fenix torch on my head. On the rear I have a cateye LD600 and a blackburn Mars 4.

That's quite a lot of light for London cycling but as I say, I want to be seen.

Top Bottom