Light tent, freestanding, stealth colour?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
Due to me doing this trip www.usacycle2018.com I have decided on a tent upgrade. Many of the US sites have gravel or even semi-indoor under shelters and free standing tent is vastly better.

Other requirements are green for stealth, light weight and decent quality.

This little beauty has just arrived. 1732g for the tent (all in) plus 193g for the footprint (sheet of plastic usually suits me, but this clips neatly into the frame system. And on offer for only a fiver more. Total £336. Sodding pricey but ticks all my boxes. replaces my Wild Country Zephyros 2UL which I have been very happy with apart from the free standing bit.

May well sleep out tonight, primarily to test my sleeping bag!

721103674040.jpg

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
Due to me doing this trip www.usacycle2018.com I have decided on a tent upgrade. Many of the US sites have gravel or even semi-indoor under shelters and free standing tent is vastly better.

This little beauty has just arrived. 1732g for the tent (all in) plus 193g for the footprint (sheet of plastic usually suits me, but this clips neatly into the frame system. And on offer for only a fiver more. Total £336. Sodding pricey but ticks all my boxes. replaces my Wild Country Zephyros 2UL which I have been very happy with apart from the free standing bit.

View attachment 383215
Does the stealth colour mean you are wild camping? Is this a good idea in places where the locals are armed with automatic weapons?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Yes, I think you might find it preferable to carry a side arm rather than worry about whether your tent is freestanding or not.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
I love all this positivity. In BLM locations (Bureau of Land Management) you can camp legally. I just don't want to stand out. And in 10 years of consuming CGOAB journals I have yet to find anyone in a situation where a gun would have helped

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I love all this positivity. In BLM locations (Bureau of Land Management) you can camp legally. I just don't want to stand out. And in 10 years of consuming CGOAB journals I have yet to find anyone in a situation where a gun would have helped
Sorry, I think most of us are just indulging in a spot of plonker pulling:smile:.
I really do wish you all the best for the trip, lm very jealous!

Last edited:

Tin Pot

Guru

View attachment 383215

Looks cool. Heat up a tin of beans before you kip for extra realism :smile:

What's your plan for mounting it on the bike?

Crankarm

Guru
You should have got the bullet proof version.

Top Bottom