Lighting the load: the correct change

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi I'm going on an Audax next week and we have been asked to bring some change so that the nominated stop doesn't run out of change when we all rock up with notes.

Do my question what is the lightest combination of coins that will allow the exact amount to be paid no matter what the bill is.

(Obviously take a credit card is one way , but I don't know the cafe maybe they don't take cards , not getting a scone would be disaster!!).

..and what is the answer if there are two stops!!

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Don't worry about exact change.
Take £5 note, 4 x £1, a 20p and 50p. But be prepared to say keep the change. The most you will ever lose is 29p.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...

Do my question what is the lightest combination of coins that will allow the exact amount to be paid no matter what the bill is.

(
If you really mean no matter what then no amount of coins will work because the bill might be 1p more than you are carrying.

Give us a maximum you're working to.

Reactions: mjr
Man-with-a-Burning-Laptop-in-his-Backpack--22486.jpg

U

User33236

What are coins? ;):laugh:

KneesUp

Guru
1 x 50p
2 x 20p
1 x 10p
1 x 5p
4 x 2p
1 x 1p

gets you every value from 1p to £1.14

You need to weight the coins to work out if there is a lighter way.

KneesUp

Guru
Not everywhere takes contactless, and besides which there is a fee to the shop for doing it. It's cheaper for the shop if you do contactless rather than PIN entry, but there is still a cost. I doubt small shops will be too impressed with loads of cyclists coming in to buy the cheapest item with their cards.

Reactions: mjr
U

User33236

Not everywhere takes contactless, and besides which there is a fee to the shop for doing it. It's cheaper for the shop if you do contactless rather than PIN entry, but there is still a cost. I doubt small shops will be too impressed with loads of cyclists coming in to buy the cheapest item with their cards.
Also a charge for businesses putting cash into the bank (although it is less than card or contactless charges).

Top Bottom