Lighting the load: the correct change

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
Also a charge for businesses putting cash into the bank (although it is less than card or contactless charges).
Change tends to get recycled though so it doesn't necessarily go into the bank. Plus if you are a sole trader you *might* legitimately pay the cash into your personal account for free and then transfer it in to the business account. Especially if the bank that has the business account have closed your local branch. I'd imagine.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Bottom line is, if any establishment does not take cards or contactless payments in which ever form. They will struggle to survive as more and more people go cashless.

KneesUp

Guru
Bottom line is, if any establishment does not take cards or contactless payments in which ever form. They will struggle to survive as more and more people go cashless.
I don't disagree. I'm always amazed when people ask if we take card - but equally they won't stay in business selling chocolate bars to people who pay with card because the processing fees will take all the profit because there isn't much margin on them.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
At one of my favourite cafes a bacon roll and an Americano is a fiver - so that's easy. I always take at least one £5 note, and then £2 coin, 2 x £1 coin, 4 x 20p, and 2 x 10p. Anything smaller it's a case of 'keep the change'.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Also a charge for businesses putting cash into the bank (although it is less than card or contactless charges).
Plus there's the worker time taking it to the bank and standing in the growing queues (night safes are getting fewer and fewer).

Change tends to get recycled though so it doesn't necessarily go into the bank.
Only if they pay many suppliers with cash but I think that's getting rarer.

OP
OP
currystomper
I was just going to throw some coins in my back pocket, but I thought the question might get someone to work out the minimum weight of coin's needed.

Maybe I'll do it when I have five minutes!!

PS I was in a shop in Sweden a while ago and they wouldn't accept cash only cards- they had no cash on the premises.

I was just going to throw some coins in my back pocket, but I thought the question might get someone to work out the minimum weight of coin's needed.

Maybe I'll do it when I have five minutes!!

PS I was in a shop in Sweden a while ago and they wouldn't accept cash only cards- they had no cash on the premises.
The new pound coins are 1 g lighter than the old ones, so obviously stock up on them.

OP
OP
currystomper
OK I geeked it:-

From the royal mint figures these weights are the same:
2 x 1p = 1 x 2p
2 x 5p = 1 X 10p

Also 1 x 10p + 1 x 20p + 1 x 50p is less wieght than 4 x 20p

So the lowest weight I could get to was 77.05 grams
which could be 5 x 1p, 5 x 5p, 1 x 20p, 1 x 50p, 2 x £1 (the new one!), 1 x £2.

If you live in the Isle of Mann or the Channel Isle you can stop at the 50p and use the lighter pound notes (preferably in the Isle of Mann as they are plastic and will not get soggy!!)

Tim Hall

OK I geeked it:-

From the royal mint figures these weights are the same:
2 x 1p = 1 x 2p
2 x 5p = 1 X 10p

Also 1 x 10p + 1 x 20p + 1 x 50p is less wieght than 4 x 20p

So the lowest weight I could get to was 77.05 grams
which could be 5 x 1p, 5 x 5p, 1 x 20p, 1 x 50p, 2 x £1 (the new one!), 1 x £2.

If you live in the Isle of Mann or the Channel Isle you can stop at the 50p and use the lighter pound notes (preferably in the Isle of Mann as they are plastic and will not get soggy!!)
Plastic notes can allegedly double as a tyre boot too.

Top Bottom