Lights! AA Batteries?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
C

chillyuk

Buy a few triple A batteries, they are cheap enough and problem solved. Simples.

anyuser

Über Member
Cateye rear light TL-LD1100 uses AA x2 and front light HL-EL520 uses AA x4. There may be others on the Catey site if you browse.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I did find one (Raleigh branded IIRC) but the switch was crap and the bracket failed, scattering bits of plastic across the road. It wasn't quite as big & heavy as the LD1100, but not far off.

Someone then pointed out to me that two Smart 1/2Watt (2 x AAA each) weigh less than a AA-powered light + 2 spare AA batteries..... which rather negates the argument for AA in my book.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've had the Raleigh dual 1/2 watt rear which takes AA's, but my second one died last week - they don't like rain at all, despite being sealed with electrical tape !

OP
OP
D

DuncanBeaumont

Thanks for that. Ordered from Wiggle.

subaqua

What’s the point
I've had the Raleigh dual 1/2 watt rear which takes AA's, but my second one died last week - they don't like rain at all, despite being sealed with electrical tape !

self almagamating tape is what you need. NOT electrical tape which is about as waterproof as blotting paper.

Wobblers

Euthermic
Someone then pointed out to me that two Smart 1/2Watt (2 x AAA each) weigh less than a AA-powered light + 2 spare AA batteries..... which rather negates the argument for AA in my book.

An AA battery has the same amount of energy as 3 AAA batteries. So you'll potentially get more light or more runtime (or both). There is also the factor that a larger light actually has more visual impact - it's more noticeable - than a small light. When it comes to lights, small is not necessarily beautiful.

albion

Guru
Planning ahead I tested my bright 5 year old Cateye LD600. (uses AAA)It lasts a good 8 hours solid and 16 hours 5 flashing.  No doubt with 1 flashing it is 80 hours.No doubt the newer model is brighter and/or more efficient.So for most people is probably fine for a whole weeks commute.

That was with old 800mah batteries

PpPete

Legendary Member
An AA battery has the same amount of energy as 3 AAA batteries. So you'll potentially get more light or more runtime (or both). There is also the factor that a larger light actually has more visual impact - it's more noticeable - than a small light. When it comes to lights, small is not necessarily beautiful.

All true, but the only reliable AA powered light I know of (Cateye TL-LD1100) uses a lot of low powered LEDs (10 of them IIRC) No doubt the 2 x AA will last a very long time even so .... but in terms of (my perception of) visual impact, I think the Smart 1/2 Watts are way better, even though the lit area is a quarter the size. That is why I bought the Raleigh with its 2 x 1/2 Watt emitters running off 2 x AA, because like the OP I wanted to use AA throughout. I thought it sounded like the best of both worlds, but sadly the build quality was just not good enough.

Top Bottom