Lights. CREE XML XM-L T6 / U2 etc Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mythste

Veteran
bit of an update!

Been using the X3 for a couple of sub 30 minute sprints as I'm not man enough to brave this weather for much longer than that at the moment! Very bright, still trying to work out the best balance of downward tilt to avoid dazzling oncomers and making sure I can still see fallen branches and potholes in the middle distance. Battery tends to last about 5 or 6 of these short hops before needing a charge, mainly used on low.

Oh, and riding in rain with this thing on full is interesting, I get dazzled by the reflection in the raindrops if I'm not careful!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Oh, and riding in rain with this thing on full is interesting, I get dazzled by the reflection in the raindrops if I'm not careful!
Been there, done that! :blush:

I was part of the 4x4 lights arms race program before every other 4x4 had a rack of roof mounted spotlights as a fashion statement.... :rolleyes:

8 x 55W spots were great for picking your way around an off-road course at night (competitive events, not poaching!) or negotiating twisty country lanes out in the sticks. The down side was that if there was any moisture in the air there would be a definite diffusion haze and once it was raining it was far more effective to turn a few off and run less power output.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Damn, I think I'm in!

Can you experienced light gurus tell me if THIS is the real McCoy?

At only £15 delivered (or I can click & collect from Argos????) it is a cheap gamble and from what I have read in a few minutes googling it suggests it is the current U2 LED that has replaced the T6 version? Am I right, please 'enlighten' me :rolleyes:

Cubist

Still wavin'
Damn, I think I'm in!

Can you experienced light gurus tell me if THIS is the real McCoy?

At only £15 delivered (or I can click & collect from Argos????) it is a cheap gamble and from what I have read in a few minutes googling it suggests it is the current U2 LED that has replaced the T6 version? Am I right, please 'enlighten' me :rolleyes:
Yep, looks Kosher. Not much of a gamble at £15 to be fair!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
That's not the price for one of the lights. You have to select your option from the drop-down list.

GC
Oops :blush:.

Just sending a query to a seller to confirm what they are including in their £18 LISTING

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
The description says:
Package Contents:
1x 2 CREE XM-L U2 LED Rechargeable Headlamp Bicycle Light
2x Rubber ring for installation
1x 8.4V 6400mAh Battery Pack
1 x charger

GC
I know, but they then suggest you can buy the battery & battery holder separately. The problem is that you are quite right, the listing does say the package is as above but it appears English may not be the sellers first language so I think it is wise to check because I would be bl00dy annoyed if just the lamp turned up without a battery!

The problem now with the Solarstorm X2's is that there are so many knock-offs of the original that the internals can vary greatly.

There have been many complaints about inadequate heat-sinking, and poor driver boards. Some are being driven at quite low currents so whilst you will get longer runtimes on the generally poor batteries supplied, the lumen count has been decreased. This you would not realise unless you had another for direct comparison

Top Bottom