Lights. CREE XML XM-L T6 / U2 etc Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
Stick on a couple of T6's as well that should sort him out :evil:
:whistle:

20141114_212404 (2).jpg

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Can you not have them better 'balanced' - you might confuse a driver ! :wacko:

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
I'll keep an ear/eye out for any reported light wars up North shall I? ^_^

I seem to be keeping out of these "Northern" lighting wars despite my (new) commute to Failsworth and regular rides along the Fallowfield Loop.
If I did get involved, I suspect that I'd be seriously out-gunned .............

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I seem to be keeping out of these "Northern" lighting wars despite my (new) commute to Failsworth and regular rides along the Fallowfield Loop.
If I did get involved, I suspect that I'd be seriously out-gunned .............

Watch out. I'm down the loop with my Hope 1s and the Yinding zapper light. If it's frosty, out will be the MTB with a XT40 solarstorm, wipes the x2 and x3 off the planet. Oh, what Northern Wars.

PS I do knock the Yinding off or cover it if I see approaching humans. It's blooming handy for picking up unlit dogs and peds though.

crazyjoe101

For anyone interested, I messed around with my standard single T6 and standard 2s2p battery pack in the electronics lab today.

Current draw:
High: 0.92A tending toward 0.90A after a few minutes.
Low: 0.206A
Off: 0.009A (9mA)
The battery was at 8.22V down to ~8.1V for those readings.

The battery itself has started to unbalance after only one full discharge.
2 cells read 4.07V freshly charged,
the others read 4.16V freshly charged.
Please not that the pairs were the same because they were wired in parallel, not because they were balanced.

The current draw is useful for working out run times.
In theory the light would run on high for nearly 10 hours (40+ on low) on a 2s2p pack build with these chunky 4400mAh cells.
Or using a more conservative 2s2p pack with these standard sized 18650 cells, get nearly 7 hours on high, and around 30 hours on low.

Looking at that I am tempted to build a 'battery' using just two of those beastly 4475mAh 26650 cells...

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
My new light's one of these; a Goread Y40. Bit chunky but it'll serve well as a main light on the MTB:

783.jpg

788.jpg

Sobrique

Have got one of the 7x cree torches recently. They're quiet a lot of light for ~25 beer tokens. The quoted power is of course, complete nonsense (manfacturer rates them at 1050lm per die, and you'll lose a hefty whack from assorted inefficiencies).

But this has been out for walkies for me - run time is about 60m before you start to see it fading, but it's whilst fading it's still plenty bright for another half hour. That's with 4Ah 18650s - 4 of them in parallel, so reckon it's probably drawing about 5A.

Cars dip headlights for you, and pull over to let you pass - which amused me no end as I continue to walk past with the dog.

And doubles as a hand warmer.

Just not entirely sure I'd be trusting of the bike mount sets - I've had an ebay special in the past, and found that whilst the light was bright, the build quality wasn't there - the mount broke, the wiring was poor, and generally wasn't convinced it'd survive getting rained on.

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
Lightweight! What you waiting for?

I cracked :whistle:.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Gener...s-XM-L2-Cree-LED-Bicycle-Light-/191411358450?

I haven't used it properly yet but initial impressions are that the spot/wide beams are very effective, the battery life is good and it looks very neat on the bars.
I put it on Helen's bike it for a ride along the FLoop and she didn't notice it was there until I suggested that she turned it on :smile:.

OFFICIAL: I now have enough bike lights.

Top Bottom