Lights (on a budget)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
Cateye do decent sets of lights. Should come under £30 if you look around, I reckon.

OP
OP
dhd.evans

dhd.evans

Veteran
Seems the standard suggested is around £18 which is fine by me. I ride on a designated cycle path (mostly lit) with only dogs and idiot pedestrians as traffic meaning I only really need lights to make others aware of me.

However, that said, I wouldn't mind a front light with enough power to light up at least 1m in front of me.

stu1903

Über Member
To be honest I wouldn't skimp and scrap on a light for my bike. This is due to the fact that I ride at night on the road and need a decent light to see in dimly lit and non lit areas, and to be seen by other road users.

I used to have a Cateye Single Shot Plus light until last week when the bracket on the unit snapped and I upgraded to the Lupine Tesla 5 and the difference is night and day. The Lupine is expensive £350 but as I work for a bike shop I got it a lot cheaper but even still it's a light that will last for years.

My recommendation would be to buy the best you can afford or hold off a little longer and save a wee bit more to get a better light.

Norm

To be honest I wouldn't skimp and scrap on a light for my bike.
Defo +1 to that.

Apologies for posting this again but I think it's very relevant here.

Some comparison photos, all taken at fixed exposure, against a £20 CatEye, in this case an HL135.

Cateye HL135 on its own
th_CateyeHL-EL135.jpg

Cateye HL135 bottom left, against Exposure Joystick on high, the Cateye has all-but disappeared
th_CateyeHL-EL135ExposureJoystickhigh.jpg

Cateye HL135 bottom left, against Exposure MaxxD on high. Yes, the Cateye is still turned on, you just can't see it any more.
th_CateyeHL-EL135ExposureMaxxHigh.jpg

Save your money and don't buy cheap lights.

VamP

Banned
Something like this should be good enough for your need. This.

Having said that, I would echo others about not skimping on lights, obviously the brighter lights are safer and have more utility (winter training, off-road use etc.)

There is a lot to be said for for the *cheap lights on your bike, as opposed to the expensive lights in the shop* school of thought as well.

C

chillyuk

I bought one of the Lidl 3 watt led lamps a while back. I have only used it a couple of times in unlit lanes and for what it is it is very good. Not a patch on lights costing 10x more admittedly, but for a real budget lamp it does the job.

Having said that I would echo what others say, get the best you can afford.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Something like this should be good enough for your need. This.

That Planet-X offer is confusing at best...
is the rear a 1 watt (overkill) or 1/2 watt (in which case poor value compared with separate front 35 lux at £23 and a separate 1/2 watt rear)

I got the 35 Lux when they were knocking them out at £15 - at that price it was stonking value, but at best it's still only really fit for well-lit roads, or as a secondary to something much more expensive if any unlit roads.

VamP

Banned
That Planet-X offer is confusing at best...
is the rear a 1 watt (overkill) or 1/2 watt (in which case poor value compared with separate front 35 lux at £23 and a separate 1/2 watt rear)

I got the 35 Lux when they were knocking them out at £15 - at that price it was stonking value, but at best it's still only really fit for well-lit roads, or as a secondary to something much more expensive if any unlit roads.

Agreed. Better value when on the offer. I was just using the link to show the model TBH.

OP intends to use it on lit roads.

Noodley

Pop intae Nicholsons in Dundee or Angus Bike Chain in Arbroath and they'll sort you oot with something in that price range nae bother.

400bhp

Guru
I asked a similar question a couple of weeks back:

https://www.cyclechat.net/

I went for the Revolution Vision and a Wiggle Lifeline light.

I'm pleased with them - very well built and a good beam (for lit roads and a 1/2 mile unlit part).

Only doenside is they don't have much side light.

Top Bottom