Lightweight 4 season sleeping bag for bike packing - recommendations please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Rab arriving in the next day or so - will give it a back yard test when it arrives - make use of the cold snap

Well wear (or whatever the appropriate words are ^_^)

You are not getting a 4 season down bag for that; 4 season synthetic or 3 season down maybe
Don't know why you're quoting me?

Op has a bag.... all hey have to do now is come back and report on it! ^_^

OP
OP
FrothNinja

FrothNinja

Veteran
The Pro is roomy enough to wear extra layers and use a fleece liner which will up it easily into the 4 season realm - well in theory. Predicted to dip below zero overnight for the rest of the week in our little frost pocket so I will find out if the tent/bag/ mat etc cut the proverbial & time to up the layers if it doesn't

OP
OP
FrothNinja

FrothNinja

Veteran
Test run in the new bag last night - in an unheated shed.
Not sure if it was a success or not. I knew I slept cold but I didn't realise just how cold.
Temp. according to the Met Office were 8sh for the area, so not likely to be under 6 in our freeze pocket.
I got 6 or so hours of broken sleep. The mat did its job well enough. My legs kept feeling cold, partly due the fabric having a cold feel. Socks on feet and they never felt cold. I ended up wearing a lightweight fleece top which kept my upper body warm enough.
Will try again tonight with a fleece liner. If that does the job, I will make myself a shortie fleece bag to cover my lower half.
As I say, not an unequivocal success, but not an absolute fail either.

Test run in the new bag last night - in an unheated shed.
Love it! ^_^

Temp. according to the Met Office were 8sh for the area
If it was me I'd be looking for a thermometer to tell me the temp where I am, or better still the coldest it was.
Thinking that you were comfortable at 8C when it was actually 10 or 12C is not very useful at this stage. Nor is "surviving" at 8C when it was actually 4!^_^

The mat did its job well enough
Are you sure?
I'm not sure that a good mat simply stops the ground "feeling" cold.
I view them as an added layer of insulation so if cold is getting in it may well be from the ground and your legs were feeling cold, no?
A (very) light (and small) survival blanket between you and the mat may improve things significantly. (I would have thought it went under the mat but others here have said that between mat and bag is best).

One thing to keep in mind in an open space as opposed to a tent is that condensation is less likely in the open space. Condensation can end up on the bag, under the mat and on the inside of the fly. Dampness is your enemy with a down bag. Depending on the size of the shed and your tent it wouldn't be overkill to put up the tent in the shed. ^_^

A couple of thoughts.....
I view a bag's job as keeping me warm (as opposed to warming me up). On cold nights if I go into the bag cold I will stay cold. Jumping Jacks are my preferred way of getting warm before getting into the bag.
A liner can be great for boosting overall temperature within a bag (and keeping the bag clean) but I have found something like a thermal leggings and/or top can be more comfortable and useful especially if one half of my body is warmer than the other. Decathlon do some, cheap as chips, and the next morning, i have something warm already on as I go out to face the cold air. (I tend to wussery on cold mornings ^_^). On dry evenings my "night" leggings can be put on early for cosiness while cooking/eating.
For more extreme cold I have merino leggings and top. Wonderful!

I hope I'm not nit picking, I think it's great that you're doing this testing.

OP
OP
FrothNinja

FrothNinja

Veteran
Your tent will likely be smaller than your shed and will heat up more easily. I remember a couple on CGOAB being offered a shelter for the night in Mongolia and being much colder than in their tent.

Hope that's the case - better test of the bag

OP
OP
FrothNinja

FrothNinja

Veteran
Love it! ^_^

If it was me I'd be looking for a thermometer to tell me the temp where I am, or better still the coldest it was.
Thinking that you were comfortable at 8C when it was actually 10 or 12C is not very useful at this stage. Nor is "surviving" at 8C when it was actually 4!^_^

Are you sure?
I'm not sure that a good mat simply stops the ground "feeling" cold.
I view them as an added layer of insulation so if cold is getting in it may well be from the ground and your legs were feeling cold, no?
A (very) light (and small) survival blanket between you and the mat may improve things significantly. (I would have thought it went under the mat but others here have said that between mat and bag is best).

One thing to keep in mind in an open space as opposed to a tent is that condensation is less likely in the open space. Condensation can end up on the bag, under the mat and on the inside of the fly. Dampness is your enemy with a down bag. Depending on the size of the shed and your tent it wouldn't be overkill to put up the tent in the shed. ^_^

A couple of thoughts.....
I view a bag's job as keeping me warm (as opposed to warming me up). On cold nights if I go into the bag cold I will stay cold. Jumping Jacks are my preferred way of getting warm before getting into the bag.
A liner can be great for boosting overall temperature within a bag (and keeping the bag clean) but I have found something like a thermal leggings and/or top can be more comfortable and useful especially if one half of my body is warmer than the other. Decathlon do some, cheap as chips, and the next morning, i have something warm already on as I go out to face the cold air. (I tend to wussery on cold mornings ^_^). On dry evenings my "night" leggings can be put on early for cosiness while cooking/eating.
For more extreme cold I have merino leggings and top. Wonderful!

I hope I'm not nit picking, I think it's great that you're doing this testing.

Will do a klom or two on the trainer before hitting the hay.
Will wear my old Rhovyl long John's & ultrafleece top + take a thermometer in.
Does a Garmin record temperature if it's not moving?

OP
OP
FrothNinja

FrothNinja

Veteran
Took a proper thermometer in last night - 11 cel
I was warm enough with a fleece liner and top, which means I sleep really cold.
Think I will have to either return the Rab or lug around two or more liners :cry:
Will try and return the Rab

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Think I will have to either return the Rab or lug around two or more liners :cry:

Unlucky.

Honestly if you've got the time to wait for delivery (not sure on the timescale for that atm) you get far more bang for your buck with Cumulus* fill power wise than with Rab..

Nothing against Rab in general, got lots of their other stuff its good.

As others have said an extra closed cell foam later between you and the sleeping pad will help, if your pad isn't very well insulated.

A warm drink once you're in there
And of course a beanie, inside the SB hood, and dry socks will help too.
Definitely warmer inside a small tent than a draughty shed ime - less air to warm up.

I'll usually take the tent option, over a bothy for that reason, amongst others..

* I have no affiliation beyond lots of nights usage and cosy sleeps - and I usually sleep slightly on the 'cold' side .

Sallar55

Veteran
A good mat to sleep on is required if its cold, you are insulated from the ground. My Neo Air pad has developed a slow leak and in the morning i it feels colder with less air to insulate . Its finding the leak or going for another mat.

Last edited:
That's very interesting and shows the value of testing.
If this is the bag it's rated down to -2C and just goes to show how individual we all are.

I have to say, though, if you were cold I'd be looking again at the mat. Only the worst mats will you feel the cold directly from the ground.

I'm not sure what the chances are of being able to return a used bag. I'd give it a good look over to see if there are any faults that may offer a better chance of a return.

If you are successful, you may want to up your budget.

I have seen talk on backpacking fora of folks considering two bags for cold weather. A summer season, supplemented with a three season bag for winter. It has the advantage of having a bag (or bags) for most weather and buying cheap from the likes of Ali Express meant that it wasn't too expensive. Perhaps not terribly ethical or environmentally friendly, though.
In the same vein you could look at something like a snugpak jungle blanket (I have one). Minimal weight, extra insulation.

I used to use a merino liner, nicknamed the holy shroud, with a synthetic bag. It was toasty warm and very comfortable on its own in warmer temperatures. However, it was heavy, very heavy, and prone to developing holes. My preference now is for a good bag, a silk liner and appropriate clothing. The clothing is multipurpose so the weight is less impactful and like I said, serves a purpose before bed and in the morning.

Good luck with Rab

Top Bottom