Lightweight 4 season sleeping bag for bike packing - recommendations please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
FrothNinja

FrothNinja

Veteran
got a real lightweight bag and - sol escape bivvy - don't think you can get much lighter
Will be taking a tent so I don't want to take the bivvy as well

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Just replaced an Alpkit down bag - five years' year-round service - with a Big Agnes -10 degree rated bag. Got a good deal at £480.

Hammock camping a few days at a time on remote work sites, so they get hard use but must be lightweight.

I've a Tyvek outer bag to keep shell clean and even warmer if needed, and run up a few liners from cotton flannel material to keep the inner clean.

At £200 I think you'll have to compromise on something. I've had a look round and can't see anything.

OP
OP
FrothNinja

FrothNinja

Veteran
Just replaced an Alpkit down bag - five years' year-round service - with a Big Agnes -10 degree rated bag. Got a good deal at £480.

Hammock camping a few days at a time on remote work sites, so they get hard use but must be lightweight.

I've a Tyvek outer bag to keep shell clean and even warmer if needed, and run up a few liners from cotton flannel material to keep the inner clean.

At £200 I think you'll have to compromise on something. I've had a look round and can't see anything.

I have revised my budget upwards, but Mrs FN would go ballistic at 480 - especially since I just splurged a similar sum on a guitar today

I have revised my budget upwards, but Mrs FN would go ballistic at 480 - especially since I just splurged a similar sum on a guitar today

Just on this (and I appreciate that it's of no use to you......)

There are "seasons" for buying this type of gear and what that means is that deals are harder to come by in the wrong season. For the more expensive or specific purchases, if we have the time to track prices it can save a lot of money. Especially for items that are "upgraded" regularly.

It would be great if you come back and update the thread when you do get one and have used it.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I have an older version of this

https://cumulus.equipment/uk_en/down-sleeping-bag-mysterious-traveller-700.html
For winter camping.

And their Panyam 450 for spring and autumn, and summer high altitude.

It's a great brand and generally well thought of among the lightweight crew.

The down claims to be ethical
And the prices for similar quality and weight, are a good deal cheaper than the equivalent PhD , Rab, or or US brands

You might be lucky and find something secondhand on outdoors gear exchange on FB.

My partner has one of their quilts and rates that too.

OP
OP
FrothNinja

FrothNinja

Veteran
Just on this (and I appreciate that it's of no use to you......)

There are "seasons" for buying this type of gear and what that means is that deals are harder to come by in the wrong season. For the more expensive or specific purchases, if we have the time to track prices it can save a lot of money. Especially for items that are "upgraded" regularly.

It would be great if you come back and update the thread when you do get one and have used it.

You raise a very good point. I don't want to be rushed to buy something that will feel heavily compromised, so unless something looks too good to resist I will use what I have used before and keep an eye out in the Spring sales etc for a 4 season bag that meets my weight, pack size, etc criteria.
Will post here when I have used whatever I get a few times.

OP
OP
FrothNinja

FrothNinja

Veteran
Got it down to two bags. Both have enough extra room to put an extra layer on if the temp drops below 0.
Toss up between -
Rab Ascent Pro 400 Down Sleeping Bag
&
Mountain Equipment Helium GT 400 Down Sleeping Bag
Both obtainable - is there any reason I should favour one above the other?
Ta

HelenD123

Guru
Got it down to two bags. Both have enough extra room to put an extra layer on if the temp drops below 0.
Toss up between -
Rab Ascent Pro 400 Down Sleeping Bag
&
Mountain Equipment Helium GT 400 Down Sleeping Bag
Both obtainable - is there any reason I should favour one above the other?
Ta

The Rab down has a hydrophobic treatment so should fair better in damp conditions.

Top Bottom