Like a Brompton but not like a Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
As someone who is a relatively new Brompton owner I’ll give my take on them. If you cut through the hype and hipster nonsense they are just a very well engineered, compact folding bike designed for a short commute, a couple miles either way. They are not a substitute for a proper bike, but they are a lovely thing to own and a lot of fun!

E0DFDDBE-3E33-4759-B67C-8EE3A4FAF9FA.jpeg

roley poley

Über Member
what about an old moulton? Had one made in '62 good load carrier with suspension rode mine all over till the rear fork cracked then donated it for parts to the moulton preservation society the new ones have a silly price

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I only bought my Brompton because somebody else didn't want it, and it was on the C2W scheme so made it silly cheap. That was about 4 or 5 years ago. It's now been nabbed by my better half who uses it to commute 1.5 miles to school every day. She doesn't fold it, but finds it so much easier to pedal the short distance than her 'big' bike. With the S bag on the front its perfect.
If I was buying another folder now, new, I'd look at the Decathlon offerings.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You could consider a minivelo if folding isn't an issue. I find my Brompton to be very comfortable except for handlebar buzz on irregular surfaces. That can be dealt to some degree by using bar ends and ergo grips. As far as expense goes, handmade steel bikes are generally not cheap, although I can't see paying a lot extra for a fancy paint job. The minivelo below is a $400 Bikes Direct Nano, modified a bit. It now has bull horns, SPDS, a Nitto stem and a B17 Narrow saddle and weighs about 25.6 lbs.
I can't see the point of a small-wheeled bike that doesn't fold (or at least, separate into smaller bits for storage/transportation)? :wacko:

(I'm not saying that there isn't one, but I just can't think of it! :laugh:)

OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
what about an old moulton? Had one made in '62 good load carrier with suspension rode mine all over till the rear fork cracked then donated it for parts to the moulton preservation society the new ones have a silly price
I think they are not cheap but unlike anything else and highly engineered. Not that I need to tell you that.

OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
As someone who is a relatively new Brompton owner I’ll give my take on them. If you cut through the hype and hipster nonsense they are just a very well engineered, compact folding bike designed for a short commute, a couple miles either way. They are not a substitute for a proper bike, but they are a lovely thing to own and a lot of fun!

View attachment 514852
Very much appreciate the no BS response

OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
I can't see the point of a small-wheeled bike that doesn't fold (or at least, separate into smaller bits for storage/transportation)? :wacko:

(I'm not saying that there isn't one, but I just can't think of it! :laugh:)
Im told they accelerate quickly and turn quick. Strange but I just like feeling closer to terra firma.

Smudge

Veteran
Im told they accelerate quickly and turn quick. Strange but I just like feeling closer to terra firma.

You shouldn't be much closer to the ground, as the seat height should be similar to where you would have it on a full size bike.

NotAsGoodAsMyBike

I haven’t used any of these types of bikes but have occasionally toyed with the idea of having one - I can see the attraction.

So, seen from my position of complete ignorance, I’d say the Brompton is all about the fold. If you don’t need that, I’d go for a Moulton - you’ll just regret not getting the best otherwise! I think the cheapest is just under £2K new.

Ian

12boy

Guru
Macp...Bikes Direct sells Mercier Nanos.
ColinJ.....minivelos were developed as Tokyo commuters, for nimble handling in heavy traffic and storing in very small apartments, much as I understand Bromptons were for London folks.
I think small wheel bikes are proper bikes, at least down to 16 inch wheels. I also think fat bikes, recumbents, full out racing bikes, downhill bikes and other specialized machines are proper bikes, although I don't have any of those. All bikes are compromises between function, weight and price. I'm glad there is such diversity.

berlinonaut

Veteran
Yes heard the small wheel comment applied to the Brompton before but a Moulton. I guess because they are on 20"
What's "a Moulton"? Moulton is a brand that has been in business for more than 50 years and they do have more than one model, let alone what they had over the course of time. They all have suspension and they all have smaller wheels than normal bikes, still there's no such thing as "a Moulton".
The Brompton has 16"/349 wheels, the original Moulton F-frame had 349 wheels, the "classical" Spaceframe Moultons have 17"/369 wheels (as has the Bridgestone Moulton), some have 20"/406 wheels and they even had a 14" version, called Moulton Mini...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
ColinJ.....minivelos were developed as Tokyo commuters, for nimble handling in heavy traffic and storing in very small apartments, much as I understand Bromptons were for London folks.
I think small wheel bikes are proper bikes, at least down to 16 inch wheels.
I have never ridden a bike with small wheels but I rolled someone else's Brompton out into the street once and the steering felt distinctly twitchy to me. Maybe it feels different when actually riding? That might be what you describe as 'nimble'. I am used to bigger wheels and the way that my bikes respond. I suppose I could get used to a different kind of bike though.

It would be handy taking a Brompton (or other folding bike) when going off to cycling holidays by train. My last trip to Wales was a nightmare on the way back. The train was ridiculously overcrowded and already had 6 bikes on board when my friend and I boarded with our 2. The guard was a cyclist so he let us on but he said that he would have to stop any more cyclists trying to board because there just wasn't any more room.

Last edited:
Top Bottom