Like a Brompton but not like a Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

berlinonaut

Veteran
I have never ridden a bike with small wheels but I rolled someone else's Brompton out into the street once and the steering felt distinctly twitchy to me. Maybe it feels different when actually riding?

This reads a little bit like "I've never driven a car, just pushed a broken one of someone else out of the way once. The steering felt very hard and the whole thing was really heavy and hard to move. Maybe it feels different when actually driving it?" :tongue:

Nibor

Bewildered
+1 for the Katu and the basket is only 2 bolts to take off or put on. it also has mounting points for a "dutch" frame lock.

As was mentioned upstream, a Raleigh Twenty makes an ideal modernisation project, cheap as chips, and the ride is superb:
1586877671552.jpeg

robrinay

If you fancy a folder then don’t make my mistake. I started with a Moulton Stowaway - no good with hills as only two gears and a back pedal brake. Then I bought a Raleigh 20 - gave me back ache / too short from seat to handlebars. So I bought a Dahon - nice enough but not a Brompton. In the end I bit the Bullet and forked out for a Brompton - v happy / great for short journeys and major antique fairs. - sorted! Get other bikes for other purposes. Don’t make my mistake - start with a Brompton.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
This reads a little bit like "I've never driven a car, just pushed a broken one of someone else out of the way once. The steering felt very hard and the whole thing was really heavy and hard to move. Maybe it feels different when actually driving it?" :tongue:
More like "I have pushed maybe 50 or 60 different bicycles... Small children's bikes, tricycles, medium sized women's bikes, large men's bikes, road bikes, mountain bikes and so on. The only one that felt odd was the Brompton"!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
It's true the steering on a 16" wheeled bike is twitchy but that's the price you pay.

One man's twitchy is another man's direct and responsive.

I like Brompton steering, and there's no doubt the bike accelerates well in the sense that it responds better to that first shove on the pedals.

One of the 20" wheel bikes is a good compromise, still a bit more chuck about fun than a big wheel bike, but in no way twitchy.

Gearing can be a limiting factor.

My Katu has a three speed hub which can be frustrating at times.

The current ones have the seven speed Nexus hub which should be fine.

Smudge

Veteran
If you fancy a folder then don’t make my mistake. I started with a Moulton Stowaway - no good with hills as only two gears and a back pedal brake. Then I bought a Raleigh 20 - gave me back ache / too short from seat to handlebars. So I bought a Dahon - nice enough but not a Brompton. In the end I bit the Bullet and forked out for a Brompton - v happy / great for short journeys and major antique fairs. - sorted! Get other bikes for other purposes. Don’t make my mistake - start with a Brompton.

Just because the first three bikes were a mistake for you, doesn't mean they will be a mistake for everyone.

Nibor

Bewildered
One man's twitchy is another man's direct and responsive.

I like Brompton steering, and there's no doubt the bike accelerates well in the sense that it responds better to that first shove on the pedals.

One of the 20" wheel bikes is a good compromise, still a bit more chuck about fun than a big wheel bike, but in no way twitchy.

Gearing can be a limiting factor.

My Katu has a three speed hub which can be frustrating at times.

The current ones have the seven speed Nexus hub which should be fine.
The current non electric models either have a Sturmy archer 5 speed hub or a Shimano 8 speed nexus hub like mine these come with battery lights and v brakes on the 5 speed or dynamo lights and hydraulic disc brakes on the 8 speed.

OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
Morning all hope your all well

So spent quite a while researching and got my choices down to the Brompton S6L Tern Verge P10 and lastly Moulton TSR8/9. So I just sold my Kona Sutra which although a good bike was a heavy beast at almost 15kg plus panniers 😮. So im interested in going lighter this time but also something different with a bit of fun thrown in. Now here are my concerns or just whats bothering me starting with the Brompton. Firstly I have heard conflicting comments about the power of the brakes. My Kona had cable discs and in my opinion were quite poor. Im currently using my wifes Cube Curve with hydraulic brakes and wow are they good. Really progressive & powerful. Punctures seem like a bit of an ordeal on the Brompton due to hub gearing on the back wheel. I have had punctures riding home in the cold & dark and it aint fun even changing out an inner tube on a conventional geared bike. So that concerns me.

Looking at the Moulton firstly its around £300 more expensive than the Brompton. Delivery time im told is very lengthy and im worried if a bike that looks like it should be hung on your living room wall is up to the daily grind.

Lastly the Tern P10 which I read is a superb ride, has hydraulic disc brakes and the larger 20" wheels. Its about the same cost as the Brompton however its not a Brompton (yes I know :rolleyes:) and to me looks a little BMX like. Not a bad thing and yes its different but doesnt seem to sit well with me. And lastly I have read conflicting comments about poor build quality.

As always im grateful for your comments/advice and would appreciate any input to what I have written here.

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
I’ve just fitted the latest Brompton brakes to my 20 year old Brompton and they are really good, very effective and powerful, I certainly wouldn’t be concerned about them.

2E9F68B7-ADA5-4B45-976D-8AA2B94A09EC.jpeg

roley poley

Über Member
all my bikes are hub geared and to mend a puncture on the rear I don't take the wheel off .Turn the bike upside down and working on the non drive side take that bead off the rim,pull out innertube fix and re insert.Seen it done in Holland where they often have chaincases to deal with too.

OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
all my bikes are hub geared and to mend a puncture on the rear I don't take the wheel off .Turn the bike upside down and working on the non drive side take that bead off the rim,pull out innertube fix and re insert.Seen it done in Holland where they often have chaincases to deal with too.
Now this I would like to see. I assume you lift one side of the spindle out just not the side with the gear chain ?

Top Bottom