Like a Brompton but not like a Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
I rebuilt my 2001 Brompton with all genuine parts, almost everything is interchangeable so they’re really easy to update and improve. With some effort you can effectively keep one going for ever, although it’ll end up being like triggers broom!

OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
I do not recall why exactly you want a folder but you should be aware of one thing: Every folder is a compromise. Some compromise on the fold, some compromise on the ride, most are somewhere in between. The Brompton offers the smallest fold of all bikes than can be considered rideable (so serious bikes), still rides - depending from your taste - something beween reasonably and very well (though it typically needs a bit getting used to it's agility and nippiness) and it has a history of 40 years of maturing. The latter is the real asset. Many other folders are way earlier on the maturity scale while on the Brompton every tiny thing has been well thought through and has it's reason. Plus you don't just buy a bike, you buy into an ecosystem that has evolved over the years with the luggage being the most obvious part of it. There is simply no other folder that would even be close to that level. Including a very good situation regarding spare parts (though Brompton has lost a bit here recently). Folders have by nature some or many special parts and being able to get hold of them quickly is essential, an asset and unfortunately not a given with all brands. Even better if you do only rarely need those special parts due to the quality of the bike.

The other thing regarding compromise is: A folder is due it's folding mechanism heavier, flexier and more expensive than a comparable "normal" bike and in many cases less adaptable (and typically a bit slower as well). The Sutra is a decent bike so you should be aware that in terms of ride you probably won't make an upgrade but you possibly will in other areas.

I do not know why you opted for those three models as your favorites but coming from experience I would heavily recommend test rides as those bikes are really different. With the Brompton I would even more recommend also riding the different drivetrain and stem options as they make a massive difference. And if you can: touch as many other folders as possible - depending from your needs the perfect bike for you may be a less popular, less well known or more niche one like i.e. an Airnimal or a Bike Friday.
In truth I dont actually NEED a folder that is to say I dont need it to commute for work although I can think of reasons it could be useful. I just want to try something different as I am not into roadbikes and an MTB will be too heavy. I am aware of some of the compromises but most seem to speak highly of how the Brompton rides. I remember at least two occasions where I was left behind after being passed by Brompton riders. I might continue to look around at anything else interesting but I will only look at Brompton for folding bikes.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Now this I would like to see. I assume you lift one side of the spindle out just not the side with the gear chain ?

No, you don't touch anything. Hub gear riders don't just change tubes unless the flat is so bad the hole is completely unrepairable - which is unlikely anyway as most IHG bikes are fitted with Marathons these days. What we do is turn the bike upside down and get the tube out in-situ for examination. Once the hole is found and the cause of the flat extracted from the tyre, it is patched and fed back into place. Forget the roadie mentality of just pulling a tube out and changing it for a new one, because they can't be bothered to carry a patch kit or to actually find the puncture. Hub gear riders repair things.

OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
I rebuilt my 2001 Brompton with all genuine parts, almost everything is interchangeable so they’re really easy to update and improve. With some effort you can effectively keep one going for ever, although it’ll end up being like triggers broom!
I think the Woody Allen movie 'sleepers' he says after a nuclear war there will only be wood louse (something like that) & VW Beetles remaining. I think he could have added Bromptons ^_^

Gunk

Guru
They’re very easy to live with, no need for any special clothing, just jump on and ride it. The fold means it takes no space up in the garage. So even if you’re not a commuter they are still a very handy little bike.

I’ve fitted a basket to mine and I just use it as a pub/errand bike

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I think the Woody Allen movie 'sleepers' he says after a nuclear war there will only be wood louse (something like that) & VW Beetles remaining. I think he could have added Bromptons ^_^

And old Raleigh 3 speeds and Series Two Land Rovers.....

They’re very easy to live with, no need for any special clothing, just jump on and ride it.

I seem to manage to ride all my bikes without needing to wear special cycling gear. :laugh:
The handling of a Brompton is not my cup of tea though. I know two owners who use them as pub bikes, mainly so they can take them home on the bus if they drink too much beer to ride. Have tried one round the block but for me the handling is too twitchy. Best shopper/folder I have ridden remains the Dawes Kingpin. Even though they are not as compact folded I reckon 20" wheels are way better than 16" ones.

berlinonaut

Veteran
In truth I dont actually NEED a folder that is to say I dont need it to commute for work although I can think of reasons it could be useful. I just want to try something different as I am not into roadbikes and an MTB will be too heavy.
You just took off the cover from a box of snakes! ^_^ If you want to go unusual there are always recumbents, trikes and velomobiles. Folders have been uncommon for a long time, but today they are fairly common. So possibly you need something MORE different. I'd recommend a folding recumbent! :okay: (I have one some :rolleyes: and they are great)

I remember at least two occasions where I was left behind after being passed by Brompton riders.
When I was a motorcyclist we used to say "it's not the bike, it's the rider". Still true I guess.
I might continue to look around at anything else interesting but I will only look at Brompton for folding bikes.
Brave guy. Can't go wrong with a Brompton. Did I mention that I have a Brompton recumbent? :laugh:

Last edited:

berlinonaut

Veteran
The fold means it takes no space up in the garage. So even if you’re not a commuter they are still a very handy little bike.
But that's also a danger inherent to folders. As it folds and thus takes up less room you can stack up more bikes with the same amount of space. And once you have more than one these things tend to spawn until you need more room than ever. Trust me - I know what I'm talking about. :rolleyes:

Gunk

Guru
But that's also a danger inherent to folders. As it folds and thus takes up less room you can stack up more bikes with the same amount of space. And once you have more than one these things tend to spawn until you need more room than ever. Trust me - I know what I'm talking about. :rolleyes:

You’re right, once you’ve used up all the space, folding is the way to go :laugh:

1-C6865-C4-5-A8-D-402-D-8095-0-EF9-BAAB1141.jpg

berlinonaut

Veteran
:notworthy: Photos please!

Here are some quick finds from my computer:
35878896yc.jpg

37497849we.jpg

35878562nc.jpg

35878572mj.jpg

It is a MK2 Brompton that was fitted out with the recumbent kit by Juliane Neuss from day one on. I bought it off the first owner a while ago and did some modifications for my needs: The Sturmey 3-speed went and a S/A XRF8w that I had lying around came in. A Shimano hub dynamo repaced the Axa bottle one and a Son Edelux (first version) the lumpy halogen lights on the front. The stem got replaced by an S-stem to achieve enough room for my knees when pedaling. New bell, new tires, I thinks that's about it. It is now 20 years old and runs perfectly fine. :bicycle:Can also be fully folded in just a couple of seconds more than a normal Brompton and this way be taken onto the train. Works flawlessly and this was the reason why Juliane created the kit at all in the mid nineties - she wanted to be able to take a recumbent with her when traveling which, at that time, was not possible due to a lack of folding recumbents.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you want different the Brompton is certainly that. At least try one from the Brompton banks all over the place.
I keep my 16” folder in the UK as I need a folder to take on the train, bus or tram. If you don’t need that maybe think again. Mine has discs and a eight speed hub and was a bargain price so I thought it worth a punt. So far I’ve been quite happy with it. A 20” wheeler is going to feel much more like a full size.

Last edited:
OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
You just took off the cover from a box of snakes! ^_^ If you want to go unusual there are always recumbents, trikes and velomobiles. Folders have been uncommon for a long time, but today they are fairly common. So possibly you need something MORE different. I'd recommend a folding recumbent! :okay: (I have one some :rolleyes: and they are great)

When I was a motorcyclist we used to say "it's not the bike, it's the rider". Still true I guess.

Brave guy. Can't go wrong with a Brompton. Did I mention that I have a Brompton recumbent? :laugh:
Did I say unusual yeah perhaps I didnt mean that unusual ^_^.

I agree with your comment re motorcyclist as I was also once a motorcyclist but even a good cyclist has to have something they can work with.

Top Bottom