Like a Brompton but not like a Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

berlinonaut

Veteran
So im not sure but somebody possibly on here fitted These to their S stem without changing the cables. Can anybody confirm that ?
Could probably just work out. Be aware that these bars seem to be a tad slimmer than the original bars.

OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
Could probably just work out. Be aware that these bars seem to be a tad slimmer than the original bars.
Yes Brompton bars are 25.4mm im advised but somebody wrote (possibly on here) that a bar like this is brilliant with no cable change needed. I dont know if the width needs to be cut to maintain the fold though ?

berlinonaut

Veteran
Sorry - I referred to the width. The current Brompton S-bars are 52cm, the Humpert one from SJS is labeled as 50cm. The clamp area will fit and I would call it a pretty safe bet that the 3cm rise will not need longer cables.

OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
Sorry - I referred to the width. The current Brompton S-bars are 52cm, the Humpert one from SJS is labeled as 50cm. The clamp area will fit and I would call it a pretty safe bet that the 3cm rise will not need longer cables.
Very helpful thanks 👌

John_S

Über Member
Hi macp,

My apologies because I've not yet read through all of the messages above just yet but in response to just your original post when I saw your message about wanting a small wheeled bike but not a Brompton and not being worried about the folding element I did have a bike pop into my head.

How about a small wheeled cargo bike? I saw one online from a company in Bristol Rodford Built Transport Cycles and although I've never before considered such a bike for some reason I think that they look great but I guess this might be very much a marmite thing and you'll either love or hate it.

http://www.rodfordbuilt.co.uk

If you go on their Instagram page you can see examples of lots of their bikes.

It got me thinking about just how much shopping you could carry using one of these.

Hope you find the right bike for you.

John

OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
Hi macp,

My apologies because I've not yet read through all of the messages above just yet but in response to just your original post when I saw your message about wanting a small wheeled bike but not a Brompton and not being worried about the folding element I did have a bike pop into my head.

How about a small wheeled cargo bike? I saw one online from a company in Bristol Rodford Built Transport Cycles and although I've never before considered such a bike for some reason I think that they look great but I guess this might be very much a marmite thing and you'll either love or hate it.

http://www.rodfordbuilt.co.uk

If you go on their Instagram page you can see examples of lots of their bikes.

It got me thinking about just how much shopping you could carry using one of these.

Hope you find the right bike for you.

John
Brilliant looking bikes thanks will take a look later just to enjoy what they do but I have my new bike now ^_^

OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
Well it arrived today finally. Its a long story :smile:

So upon arrival:
Ergon GP2 grips - check
Flip the pentaclip - check
Luggage bracket fitted - check
Swap the OE pedals for my Shimano double sided pedal - check

Re luggage I went for the new medium size messenger bag and its excellent. Not thought of a name for it yet although I feel it would be fitting to do do so. Answers on a postcard.

So first ride yes its responsive and quick off the mark. So far liking the 3 speed gearing and the positive gearchange. Very impressed with the frame. No feel of flexing from anywhere and the brakes are far better than I thought. Overall feel of the bike is one of a quality product so pretty happy so far.

Funniest bit was when the daughter walked past and seeing it for the first time said "I wasnt prepared for that but why does it look like that" :laugh:

IMG_2012.JPG

OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
First ride into work this morning and any concerns I had about going three speed were unfounded. Things may change but right now im finding 3 speeds more than adequate. I do see what is meant by twitchy but im sure I will get used to it pretty soon. I love the way it climbs hills and accelerates though. Im definitely getting the extended seat stem I find the standard is just a little too short for my 5 11" and 33" inside leg. Im also pleased at how comfortable I find the bike too. So far so good.

Oh and im thinking Graham.

D32C63B2-BDDF-47A3-9851-049C2903F678.jpg

OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
Another update
Ordered the extended stem and Joseph Kuosec bars. This bike is going to fit like a glove ^_^

Name may have changed to Gordon.

OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
The standard Brompton saddle is far more comfortable, the Brooks looks nice though
I would agree standard saddle is comfy Brooks saddle would be sheer vanity. I had a B17 on my Kona and it was also comfortable but drove me bonkers for weeks until I figured out how to stop it creaking.

Ah now the Brompton toolkit would be a better perhaps wiser use of funds.

Last edited:
Top Bottom