Linux Lubuntu boot failure.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
GNOME Disks will do. Fire it up, look at the lines saying "Assessment" on the Hard Disk entries (not the Drive or Block Device) ones. It should say "Disk is OK". For extreme detail, pick the "SMART..." entry in the menu. The pop-up window may also let you run extra tests, but it will probably require you to become the root user, possibly before starting gnome-disks.

Splendid thanks. I can work my way around Windows on for the main things but Linux, not a clue really.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Splendid thanks. I can work my way around Windows on for the main things but Linux, not a clue really.
JOOI how do you get the same info out of Windows?

Last edited:

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I think one of the problems is that PC manufacturers have made it a lot harder to install Linux on modern PCs. It used to be quite easy when PCs had BIOS, but now they mostly have some newfangled variant like NetBUEI or BIOS UEFI. It can be done, but it takes a lot more dicking around.

D

Deleted member 1258

I think one of the problems is that PC manufacturers have made it a lot harder to install Linux on modern PCs. It used to be quite easy when PCs had BIOS, but now they mostly have some newfangled variant like NetBUEI or BIOS UEFI. It can be done, but it takes a lot more dicking around.

Installing Linux on a UEFI machine is usually fairly straightforward, the partitioning is different that's all. My machine is a EUFI one and it's happily running Ubuntu 18.04 and the installation was straightforward.

Top Bottom