Little Ms Sunshine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
beancounter said:
To make money from benefits.

It's a lucrative "profession" these days, in our hand-out society.

bc

Then they pass on the family business to them, picture it in your mind;

"Your 15 and your not even pregnant yet you lazy cow! You can't sponge off me forever you little slag!"

Cab

Origamist said:
@Bollo. I am surprised you decided to stop and have words with them. I would not have done this.

Horribly judgemental I know, but I'd have taken one look and then simply ignored them.

It's part of their cultural identity to take no responsibility for anything and mask it by blaming others every time they know they have done something wrong, I live in prime chimp territory, at the weekend a motorcycle was going up and down the street fast, ridden by a teen with no helmet, narrowly missed some smaller children a couple of times, police were called but they said they couldn't send any one for a couple of hours, I went down the street to the house where the teens were working on their bikes and asked them to be careful, of course I got the barrage of abuse, so I cut the ht leads off the bike with the side cutters I had taken with me, told the lad who lived there to tell his dad to come see me, he knows where I live.

That evening, knock at the door and the father is there with the lad who is now sporting a black eye, makes the lad say sorry and off they go, now I'm a big bloke, not fat just big, so it is a bit different for me but the point is that if these people are allowed to be like that then that is how they will be.

The police are as much use as a fart in a jacuzzi so it is up to people in general to turn this culture around.

Rant over.

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Origamist said:
@Bollo. I am surprised you decided to stop and have words with them. I would not have done this.

You ask, so I will answer. If I'm insulted in the street and I feel I've done nothing to deserve it, I'm usually interested in why that might be. I believe that her attitude needed to be challenged, or she'll carry on being the unpleasant, bullying, arrogant little waste of air that I suspect she is. She was surprised that I answered back, and immediately went on the offensive, just like she's probably done with her teachers, the police and probation officers all her life.

I'm not naive enough to believe she'll have an epiphany based on our little chat, but she just might thing twice about behaving like a stupid cow next time.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Bollo said:
You ask, so I will answer. If I'm insulted in the street and I feel I've done nothing to deserve it, I'm usually interested in why that might be. I believe that her attitude needed to be challenged, or she'll carry on being the unpleasant, bullying, arrogant little waste of air that I suspect she is. She was surprised that I answered back, and immediately went on the offensive, just like she's probably done with her teachers, the police and probation officers all her life.

I'm not naive enough to believe she'll have an epiphany based on our little chat, but she just might thing twice about behaving like a stupid cow next time.

I'm not going to engage with the psychological profiling you have supplied, but what I would say is that people should consider the possible consequences of confronting strangers over trifling incidents and a bit of verbal. Others, I know, disagree, and feel it necessary to "educate" fellow road users, but I would advise caution.

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Origamist said:
I'm not going to engage with the psychological profiling you have supplied, but what I would say is that people should consider the possible consequences of confronting strangers over trifling incidents and a bit of verbal. Others, I know, disagree, and feel it necessary to "educate" fellow road users, but I would still advise caution.

(Bites lip and attempts to give rational response....) OK, we thank you for your advice.

To put this into context, I'm one of the most liberal-minded, welfare-state supporting, mixed-marriage/faith partnered, Guardian-reading, benefit-of-the-doubt giving people you are likely to meet. But.....

This incident was one of those mean little instances of antisocial behaviour that just make life a little more crap. It serves no other purpose. Would I have challenged it if it've been 11pm at night and it was a group of 15 year olds? If I'm honest with myself, probably not, but I'd have felt ashamed for not doing so.

If you're referring to the recent cases where people have challenged antisocial behaviour and been seriously injuried or killed, then yes, that's terrible. Were they right to do what they did? Yes, I think they were and they paid a shocking price. By not standing up to this sort of behaviour, I think we're betraying these people and our own society.

Cab

Origamist said:
I'm not going to engage with the psychological profiling you have supplied, but what I would say is that people should consider the possible consequences of confronting strangers over trifling incidents and a bit of verbal. Others, I know, disagree, and feel it necessary to "educate" fellow road users, but I would advise caution.

You also have to consider the consequences of NOT engaging. Which means that while if you don't say anything you definitely won't change anything, but of you do then you just might. The risk in that scenario... Heck, I'd not have felt threatened.

Edit: Oh, and eloquently put Bollo. I still wouldn't have engaged these particular ladies, because just sometimes you can show more contempt with a facial expression and a contemptuous glare. Show 'em that they're dirt to you without saying anything, has more impact.

Bollo said:
(Bites lip and attempts to give rational response....) OK, we thank you for your advice.

To put this into context, I'm one of the most liberal-minded, welfare-state supporting, mixed-marriage/faith partnered, Guardian-reading, benefit-of-the-doubt giving people you are likely to meet. But.....

This incident was one of those mean little instances of antisocial behaviour that just make life a little more crap. It serves no other purpose. Would I have challenged it if it've been 11pm at night and it was a group of 15 year olds? If I'm honest with myself, probably not, but I'd have felt ashamed for not doing so.

If you're referring to the recent cases where people have challenged antisocial behaviour and been seriously injuried or killed, then yes, that's terrible. Were they right to do what they did? Yes, I think they were and they paid a shocking price. By not standing up to this sort of behaviour, I think we're betraying these people and our own society.

+1

I really think that one of the problems in British society today is that we say nothing far too often. How often have I heard, 'leave it to the police' or 'that is the police's job'. Those same people complain about the police not doing their job properly. The problem is we expect the police to solve all of our problems when sometimes we could solve them ourselves. Just my 2p.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Bollo said:

Bollo, I have been in similar situations and would have laughed and carried on cycling. I guess I am have become innured to the casual disrepect that is directed at me when I cycle. I used to "have words" with people, but rarely found it productive.

If you feel the need to tackle this sort of minor anti-social behaviour - good luck to you.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Cab said:
You also have to consider the consequences of NOT engaging. Which means that while if you don't say anything you definitely won't change anything, but of you do then you just might. The risk in that scenario... Heck, I'd not have felt threatened.

Edit: Oh, and eloquently put Bollo. I still wouldn't have engaged these particular ladies, because just sometimes you can show more contempt with a facial expression and a contemptuous glare. Show 'em that they're dirt to you without saying anything, has more impact.

Cab, I have had friendly and unfriendly non-verbal interaction with plenty of road users in the past. Dialogue is not always required.

By engaging you might also make people dislike cyclists more.

Yeah, I'm sure your contemptuous glare would show them!

Cab

Origamist said:
Cab, I have had friendly and unfriendly non-verbal interaction with plenty of road users in the past. Dialogue is not always required.

By engaging you might also make people dislike cyclists more.

Yeah, I'm sure your contemptuous glare would show them!

By engaging you won't make someone like that hate cyclists more than she clearly already does. Said outcome can't happen because she already hates pretty much anyone who crosses her.

Top Bottom