Little Ms Sunshine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
No BS, its interesting how different people view it. On another day, I might have reacted as Cab suggested, or given a brief, "Go f*&k yourself, mule". I've done both in the past, though in recent years I've tried to tone down the jeffing. In this case there was a bit of me that was really interested to see how she'd take it if I faced up to her with an audience.

I know I blew the scope of the argument out on my last post, but I still think that the only way to reduce antisocial behaviour is for everyone to take a little bit of the responsibility.

"What's that Daily Mail? You want a new columnist? Immigrants?"

Origamist

Legendary Member
Cab said:
By engaging you won't make someone like that hate cyclists more than she clearly already does. Said outcome can't happen because she already hates pretty much anyone who crosses her.

We're lucky to have your insight into this girl's personality on the basis of a few secs of You Tube.

Your naivete surprises me. This time, she shouted abuse. The next time, she might throw something. Or, who knows, Bollo might be right - she might think twice about shouting at a cyclist after his little chat.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Having watched the vid. You can see the utter contempt and anger in her face that the girl has for any one or anything outside of her own little world.
She obviously has a chip on her shoulder the size of which McCaan's* would be proud of.
As a previous poster said, not even worth engaging a conversation. A look of disgust is enough.

*Oven chips for those not familiar

Cab

Origamist said:
We're lucky to have your insight into this girl's personality on the basis of a few secs of You Tube.

And you are tragically unlucky to lack the same capcity to judge the situation.

Your naivete surprises me. This time, she shouted abuse. The next time, she might throw something. Or, who knows, Bollo might be right - she might think twice about shouting at a cyclist after his little chat.

Are you really frail or something? Are you seriously so worried about the risk of the kind of trivial nudge she could have given you on a crowded public street that you're saying you wouldn't face up to a bully like her (and thats what she was, a bully) for fear of getting hurt?

stephenb

Guru

if it walks like a chav, talks like a chav, dresses like a chav....

guess the rest ;).

I'm with Bollo. But confronting people even if they look like they have the right number of chromosomes is high risk

Origamist

Legendary Member
Cab said:
And you are tragically unlucky to lack the same capcity to judge the situation.

We were not talking about the altercation. I objected to your reactionary, cod-psychological take on what you think another person hates and how you think she will react in future, solely on the basis of a clip on You Tube.

What you wrote:

By engaging you won't make someone like that hate cyclists more than she clearly already does. Said outcome can't happen because she already hates pretty much anyone who crosses her.

Cab said:
Are you really frail or something? Are you seriously so worried about the risk of the kind of trivial nudge she could have given you on a crowded public street that you're saying you wouldn't face up to a bully like her (and thats what she was, a bully) for fear of getting hurt?

That's the way, Cab - question someone's masculinity...

Out of interest, what would you have done if this girl or her mother had spat on you or punched you in the balls? I'm sure you would have had another contemptuous glare at your disosal, but what then?

You simply do not know how people will react.

Cab

Origamist said:
We were not talking about the altercation. I objected to your reactionary, cod-psychological take on what you think another person hates and how you think she will react in future, solely on the basis of a clip on You Tube.

What you wrote:

Excuse me while I use my experience, education and observations to form opinions... Errm, hang on... No, don't excuse me at all. As Oscar Wilde said, only the very shallow do not judge on appearances. We can ascertain that the reaction here was angry, and we can discern a little about the kind of response and hostility we've seen here. Now we can either ignore that and decide that no, our observations are wrong, or we can decide that probably they're right.

That's the way, Cab - question someone's masculinity...

No one questioned your masculinity. It was your timidity I commented upon.

Out of interest, what would you have done if this girl or her mother had spat on you or punched you in the balls? I'm sure you would have had another contemptuous glare at your disosal, but what then?

You simply do not know how people will react.

If in that situation a person or group of people who pose no physical threat to me decide to assault me then I would handle that situation by using the minimum force necessary to remove myself from the situation, I'd turn to the nearby witnesses for their details, and take that and my video evidence to the police. Although I so very much doubt that would happen that I would describe your fear here as almost irrational.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Cab said:
Excuse me while I use my experience, education and observations to form opinions... Errm, hang on... No, don't excuse me at all. As Oscar Wilde said, only the very shallow do not judge on appearances. We can ascertain that the reaction here was angry, and we can discern a little about the kind of response and hostility we've seen here. Now we can either ignore that and decide that no, our observations are wrong, or we can decide that probably they're right.

Cab, I'll leave you to your world of superficial appearances. You are clearly more comfortable there.

Cab said:
No one questioned your masculinity. It was your timidity I commented upon.

The word "frail" is not a synonym for timidity. It suggests physical weakness. It is also the first time anyone has ever called me timid - I am flattered. It seems that you do possess wonderful pschological insight and I am sorry for doubting you.

Cab said:
If in that situation a person or group of people who pose no physical threat to me decide to assault me then I would handle that situation by using the minimum force necessary to remove myself from the situation, I'd turn to the nearby witnesses for their details, and take that and my video evidence to the police. Although I so very much doubt that would happen that I would describe your fear here as almost irrational.

Please exuse me if I only judge you on a few meagre posts in this thread (but as Ol' Oscar said etc), you strike me as someone who has had very little experience of violence. In fact, I would put money on the woman and two girls kicking the living daylights out of you.

Cab

Origamist said:
Cab, I'll leave you to your world of superficial appearances. You are clearly more comfortable there.

And I'll leave you to your own apparently quite scary world where you don't dare say anything to anyone who has risked doing you harm for fear that they may do you more. I'm a little sorry for you, and glad I don't share your phobia.

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
cupoftea said:
I know she's an idiot but but she's allowed to just walk out and your supposed to stop

Sorry

I know we don't have a jaywalking law like the US, but I always thought that pedestrian/vehicle collsions were judged on their merits. The motorist has a responsibility to drive within the speed limit and apply good judgement, but a pedestrian also has a responsibility to exercise their judgement when crossing the road.

I had a little trawl on the net and found the odd case, usually on solicitors' web sites, where either the motorist or the pedestrian was found to be responsible, or repsonsibility was split, based on the evidence. I don't think there's an absolute pedestrian right of way on the roads, apart from ped crossings, that means any collision is automatically a driver's (or cyclist's) fault.

If anyone knows different (with evidence paleez!) as I'm genuinely interested in knowing where I stand as a ped, cyclist and (occasional) motorist.

Now back to Cab and Origamist.......:biggrin:

<Tedious_Anecdote>Quite a few years ago I was a witness to an RTA where a taxi hit a young kid that had run out into the road. The kid broke his ankle but was saved from some evil skin grafts by a huge puffa jacket that shreaded as he skidded along the road after being hit. The taxi driver was distraught, but I gave a statement to the bill that there was no way he could have avoided the accident. I got a 'thanks' letter from plod a few weeks later saying that they viewed the accident as the kid's fault and no action would be taken against the taxi driver.</Tedious_Anecdote>

Origamist

Legendary Member
Cab said:
And I'll leave you to your own apparently quite scary world where you don't dare say anything to anyone who has risked doing you harm for fear that they may do you more. I'm a little sorry for you, and glad I don't share your phobia.

Cab, keep up:

http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=307825&postcount=60

Your sophmoric psychological profiling, overly judgemental attitude and baseless assumptions are amusing...Please keep posting.

Cab

Origamist said:
Cab, keep up:

http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=307825&postcount=60

Your sophmoric psychological profiling, overly judgemental attitude and baseless assumptions are amusing...Please keep posting.

So its just women you're scared of then?

Really, stop wasting my time, I'm not going to engage in the flame war you appear to want to start here (presumably because you're so reticent to risk confrontation in real life). I'm just not responding to you on this topic any more, your posts are just intolerably poor.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Cab said:
So its just women you're scared of then?

Another puerile provocation.

Cab said:
Really, stop wasting my time, I'm not going to engage in the flame war you appear to want to start here (presumably because you're so reticent to risk confrontation in real life). I'm just not responding to you on this topic any more, your posts are just intolerably poor.

Cab, I provided a post from last week where I rebutted your silly but funny claim that I had a "phobia" about confrontation.

The flame war is of your own making. All I have suggested is that people should consider both the negative and positive consequences of taking people to task.

In the case Bollo outlined, receiving insults from a lippy teenager whilst trying to probe her psyche is not worth the effort, IMO. If you feel you are doing your bit, tackling society's ills and all that - go for it!

Top Bottom