Living in the past

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The "past" had no hoovers: scrubbing the floors on your knees was what you did, no mops either: I'm actually not kidding, that's how I uses to clean floors in my youth.
Not in the UK, better precise this :laugh:
My mum told me about her cleaning other peoples houses after school,for pocket money.Imagine children doing that now!:ohmy:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
There used to be a pub in Canning Town that had topless Go-Go dancers on a Friday lunch time when I worked that way. And another in Stratford that had topless barmaids,

Imagine the outcry if anyone tried that these days.

The Dirty Duck near the tech' college in Blackburn had them on during lunchtime,in the 70's.Strippers as well,not just go go dancers. Not just stripping either!:eek:

I'm still chuckling about this from an hour ago...
zz-izal-medicated-toilet-tissue-c.1960s-two-unused-vintage-rolls-of-lavatory-paper-sold-10803-p.jpg

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
And that nice Mr Glitter from number 12 used to give her a tip.

Yes,but he was called Paul Gadd then.:whistle:

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'm still chuckling about this from an hour ago...
View attachment 343255

Ok a bit of a confession. I got my collar felt at a football match in 1978,for chucking a bog roll onto the pitch. The magistrate questioned why i was before them for such a "trivial offence". The copper who arrested me told him it wasn't just any old toilet roll. It was a "hard Izal one"! That swayed it. They fined me 50 quid.

Ok a bit of a confession. I got my collar felt at a football match in 1978,for chucking a bog roll onto the pitch. The magistrate questioned why i was before them for such a "trivial offence". The copper who arrested me told him it wasn't just any old toilet roll. It was a "hard Izal one"! That swayed it. They fined me 50 quid.
I would have played up its medicated properties, no one ever died from an Izal graze lol

tyred

Legendary Member
We are in a fortunate position of being able to cherry pick the bits we like. I mostly listen to old music and prefer old bikes for example.

But I do remember the 80s. Not many people around here had much money. Going out with my Dad in a heaterless old lorry wearing several coats and scraping the ice from the inside of the windscreen. The Sunday mornings spent trying to coax another week's life from a Ford Cortina which was completely rotten with knackered mechanicals despite being less than ten years old. The pre-school ritual of feeding cattle and spraying Easy Start into an ancient Ford tractor and praying that it would start and running from the shed to let the smoke clear when it did. Being frozen and deafened from driving the thing. Sitting in cafes in a blue haze of cigarette smoke.

I think life is overall much easier today. We've all probably moved the goalposts and have higher expectations so we end up being unhappier!

Top Bottom