Living with someone from another culture

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I shared a flat with 3 Ghanains in London once. They prepared a stew that they slow cooked over a number of days. The smell filled the building, setting your mouth watering as soon as you opened the door. We finally sat down to dine with great ceremony and lots of assurances that 'tonight Joey, you will eat like an African king!".

It was piggin' awful. We all got food poisoning. They explained "Ah you see Joey, in Ghana the women cook, not us."

mustang1

Guru
Ok, there's one thing that really annoys me: its when men from this part of the world (between western Europe and West Asia) are talking with me and then they start tapping the back of their finger on my arm or chest. Like wtf is that about?

Reactions: C R
I don't know how to explain this but I think females are more open to a relationship with a person from another culture. They tend to see the person rather than his background.

I don't know how to explain this but I think females are more open to a relationship with a person from another culture. They tend to see the person rather than his background.
mm - i take it you have no data for that.
An unfortunate mate of mine who got entangled with a woman from the old soviet union might disagree with that in his saner moments.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Maybe I should try it sometime; because I always seem to manage to make a complete ar*e of it with those of my own culture.
Mind you, there was a young lady from Greenock once ..... now there's a challenging cultural difference, for sure (and that didn't work too well either) :laugh:.
Possibly, just possibly, it's me :ohmy:.
Bet you've never married someone from England, have you?

Brandane

Legendary Member
Bet you've never married someone from England, have you?
That would be a step too far..... :ohmy:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
An unfortunate mate of mine who got entangled with a woman from the old soviet union might disagree with that in his saner moments.

My brother-in-law's found that out as well ;)

Me? SWMBO had lived in a number of African/European countries by the age of 18 and is Irish by birth but not upbringing, but has seemed to adjust to being in Yorkshire OK. To this East-Midlander they're still foreign up here though :whistle:

byegad

Legendary Member
My brother-in-law's found that out as well ;)

Me? SWMBO had lived in a number of African/European countries by the age of 18 and is Irish by birth but not upbringing, but has seemed to adjust to being in Yorkshire OK. To this East-Midlander they're still foreign up here though :whistle:
I don't know how to break this to you....... but you are the foreigner in this.

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
It always interested me to see if one partner or both make the adjustments and compromises. I found it a challenge at first understanding I was the oddity, not the people around me!

One of the things I disliked, and have stopped, is explaining myself and my native country. I wasn't very good at justifying Margaret Thatcher in the seventies!

Reactions: JtB
Top Bottom