Lobster anyone ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I don't think they can be farmed but I was mixing them up with another business that has made numerous attempts at it, in the same village.

I think the Loch Fyne name has appeal for branding, it's known in England thanks to the chain of restaurants so there are probably a few companies trying to exploit it.

winjim

Smash the cistern
You cannot but most will boast that they have hand dived. If not stated assume dredged.

That's true for most things I suppose. They'll make a point of telling you if it's the good or ethical choice.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I don't think they can be farmed but I was mixing them up with another business that has made numerous attempts at it, in the same village.

I doubt that they could be farmed as they live in burrows in the seabed. We tried diving for them and the trick is to get your hand behind them to prevent them going too deep into the burrow. They shed the claws if you try to get them out by pulling them. We had a spectacular lack of success at this method.:ohmy:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I'm sure wiki has their own opinions on the subject but I do know nobody in Tarbert refers to them as langoustines unless their trying to push up the price. :laugh:

We never refer to them as langoustine either but I think that name is used for export ones. It is in any case the correct name regardless of local usage.

Adam4868

Guru
Lobster Thermidor ? I used to work on a cruise ship when younger and Maine Lobster was pretty good.Used to steal a couple on the night they was served and make ourselves Lobster Baguettes with Mayo ! Probally the most expensive sandwich you could get 😁
Well you have to get some perks of the job....

D

Deleted member 26715

I have eaten it 3 times (once in a swish, expensive restaurant) and have to say I can happily live without it.

My son is a chef/owner of a nice place and decided to put lobster on the Christmas day menu.
Out of 80 covers just one person went with lobster.......that must say something:rolleyes:

Had lobster a few times in the US, TBH not impressed just like a big prawn, not sure what the fuss is about, will never order Thermidor again, it looked the same on the way down as on the way back up.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Shegoggler will always remain my favourite. :laugh:

I now realise that I was thinking at cross purposes. Old age is getting to me.
I was thinking more of scallops which we called clams.:blush:

Absolutely delicious. Back in the 90's I had a huge lobster thermidor in a very swish Balinese restaurant. It was a couple of days after the asian currency crash, so it worked out about £2.50.
Last one I had was at Miller & Carter about a year ago. You could have used it as replacement brake pads. Yuk.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I've never had lobster but have always wanted to try it. I'd like to make sure I'd get a good one so would take recommendations on a reliable place. There's a couple of places in Whitstable including the lobster shack which is basically a shed on the seafront. I had my first oyster there with a squeeze of lemon.

Enjoy crab, mussels, prawns, scallops etc, just want to get a good lobster under my belt.

Top Bottom