Lobster anyone ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I don't mind lobster, but do think it's rather over rated for what it actually is. That's the power of marketing, I suppose, a bit like what DeBeers did with diamonds.

While lobster is nice (the flavour is very delicate so easy to ruin with seasonings and sauces), there's other things that I actually prefer when it comes to seafood - like scallops, tiger prawns or crab.

I actually bagged a pack with two lobster tails during Xmas Eve yellow stickering, marked down from £18 to £4.50. They were rather tiddly and already smothered in cheese sauce, and I'm much happier with the two packs of king prawns I swapped them out for... :blush:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Not a fan of lobster or crab, despite living a couple of years close to a bit of the coast that pulled out a lot of crab. Too sweet for me.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Don't know that Liz Taylor would agree with you about the diamonds @Reynard but agree about Lobster, it's a very delicate flavour best not spoiled without heavy sauces so best served 'au naturel' .

Don't know that Liz Taylor would agree with you about the diamonds @Reynard but agree about Lobster, it's a very delicate flavour best not spoiled without heavy sauces so best served 'au naturel' .

Diamonds are pretty, but there's rarer rocks than them... :becool: I like my bling as much as any girl, but being far too practical to be glamorous, I only wear a locket and a watch. :blush:

Most seafood doesn't need much. Sometimes a bit of garlic butter, or maybe a proper Marie Rose, but really, a dab of mayo and a squeeze of lemon is where it's at, mostly. :hungry:

There used to be a nice restaurant in Altrincham years ago that did layers of lobster and tomato with a very delicate marie rose sauce. Served in a tall glass.
It was like a prawn cocktail on steroids.

Lobsters are nice although usually the most expensive items on the menu. Have tried it in Oz and US. Usually comes half sliced across. To be honest other than 5 star hotels, not noticeable in local UK restaurants even the international ones. So it is never on any plan when we go out to eat.

Also like lobster bisque, unique and rich in taste.

Seafood from mussels, scallops, lobsters and crabs etc all have the sweet taste but they also have their own taste and texture. Mussels are recent compared to the rest but they too are delicious.

Unlike crabs, taking the meat out is straight forward and easy. They are never served whole, always sliced in half body wise and the meat is exposed.

Not sure if the future generations will have the same opportunity to taste the bounty of the seas.

I once piece of advice. Do not order any dish that says lobster or crab meat. They are usually inferior and mixed with fish meal paste that take the shape of crab meat. Always order the actual lobster and crab that comes with body shells half or whole.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
This place is about a mile away, I should give it a go, meant to be very good.

http://www.thefatcrab.com/surrey/

Esp on a Wednesday… BOGOF on Lobsters every Wednesday!
Dine in with us on a Wednesday at The Fat Crab Surrey, order one lobster and get another absolutely free. Winner winner, lobster dinner!

I don’t like crab other than in a small amount in a seafood cocktail or with prawns & avocado for example.
Don’t like scallops either, taste nor texture!

Last edited:

Dine in with us on a Wednesday at The Fat Crab Surrey, order one lobster and get another absolutely free. Winner winner, lobster dinner!

I don’t like crab other than in a small amount in a seafood cocktail or with prawns & avocado for example.

Menu is impressive and I am sure they know their stuff looking at their offering. Yes, lobster always with butter. Give the mussels a go as well as they are good value. Blue swimmer crabs are sweet but bit of fiddle getting to the meat. Crayfish is also nice.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk

I used to work in Rayners Lane and lived a 50-odd mile commute away. I would travel back at the weekends to take friends to the Sri Lankan restaurants there. I suspect that as the chain started there, it's going to be both very good and properly authentic (although that's hard to tell from the menu tbh)

vickster

Legendary Member
I used to work in Rayners Lane and lived a 50-odd mile commute away. I would travel back at the weekends to take friends to the Sri Lankan restaurants there. I suspect that as the chain started there, it's going to be both very good and properly authentic (although that's hard to tell from the menu tbh)

I don’t follow, sorry? 50 mile commute from where?
Ah, you’re talking about the Harrow branch maybe?

vickster

Legendary Member
Menu is impressive and I am sure they know their stuff looking at their offering. Yes, lobster always with butter. Give the mussels a go as well as they are good value. Blue swimmer crabs are sweet but bit of fiddle getting to the meat. Crayfish is also nice.

Not keen on crayfish either, again a textural thing

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I don’t follow, sorry? 50 mile commute from where?
Ah, you’re talking about the Harrow branch maybe?

I used to work in Rayners Lane. I lived 50 miles away. The local RL Sri Lankan restaurants were so good I used to come back at the weekend to eat there, often bringing friend with me.
This chain began in Rayners Lane (what they call the Harrow branch) so I am hazarding a guess it is both very good and very authentic although I added the overrider that the menu is not very transparent.
HTH

vickster

Legendary Member
I used to work in Rayners Lane. I lived 50 miles away. The local RL Sri Lankan restaurants were so good I used to come back at the weekend to eat there, often bringing friend with me.
This chain began in Rayners Lane (what they call the Harrow branch) so I am hazarding a guess it is both very good and very authentic although I added the overrider that the menu is not very transparent.
HTH
There are Sri Lankan / S Indian restaurants in and around North Cheam too.
Not sure what’s not transparent about the menu? Seems clear

I ordered a seafood dish in the Caribbean several years ago. They told me that they didn’t have any mussels but would replace them with spider crab. Getting the meat out of them makes blue swimmer crabs seem like child’s play.

Top Bottom