local club TT, what times/speeds do people achieve?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
Ive been cycling for about 18 months and im starting to think about joining a club.

I have no interest in racing as im too big and heavy, but a tt would interest me.

I ride a triban 3 so have the most basic machinery possible and id like to try a TT but dont wanna make a tit of myself, on most long (5 miles or so) straight roads I place reasonably on strava. Theoretically by strapping on some aero bars id be a bit quicker...

Just wondering if anyone has info on their club tt so I know roughly where I need to be to not look stupid.

Shorter distances of 5k, 10k probably best.

fossala

Guru
All time trials down here start at 10miles.
Times in the latest Cornwall cup (local club cup) are between 22:09 and 31:33

EDIT: That is between 27.9 and 19.2mph

OP
OP
jifdave

jifdave

So give or take 20mph not to be the slowest....

I shall do some tests, anyone have strava data of a tt?

lejogger

Guru
I've attached the finish sheet from a local 5 a couple of weeks ago.

They're a great introduction to TTing.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376562518.412325.jpg

Plenty of variety of ages and abilities.

OP
OP
jifdave

jifdave

:smile: You are overanalysing it.

Probably true, tis the nature of my job.

Just wanna see where I am comparatively, im 19st and dont want to make a fool of myself

bianchi1

Guru
If you want to not look daft the only rule is make sure you know the course. Even super fast lads on 4 grand bikes look a bit silly when they miss a turn and end up cycling into the wilderness. One guy the other day rode 21 miles in our local 10 mile time trial!

O and don't go home with your number still on your back.

Otherwise enjoy.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I was last on my first club TT, and last in a RR last night.

Nobody cared - most were full of praise (aware of my really late start to season)

End of the day,if you think fast and ride slow you're only going to disappoint yourself. Go ride, experience and learn, come back stronger next year/time

lejogger

Guru
Thanks for that. What was the average gradient?
It's pretty much a flat course, a little down from the start and then a little up at the end. A couple of roundabouts and for me a horse box getting in the way a couple of times too! It's all good fun though.

This week the course was running slower due to a headwind on the way out a 10:16 was posted but also a 15:33. There's young kids giving it a go as well as the old gizzards!

To be totally honest people are only really interested in their own times as TTs are a personal challenge at this level. Post your first time and then strive for PBs.

10s are generally regarded as a little easier than 5s though as you can manage your effort a little more. 5s are essentially just a complete sprint from start to finish.

I've mainly done 10kms. The 10s one I did up north was 26.07 for a flat courser with tri bars (iirc the winners were around 21mins) and just under 30 (without tri bars) and the few I've done down here without tri bars have been 27:38 and 28:58 and the winners have been in the region of 22/23mins.

Top Bottom